Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, this is the official thread to discuss the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II - the new Mark II version!

See my Sony RX100 II review for more details.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:21 am 

The Sony Youtube channel posted a 50 minute Q&A about the RX100 II and RX1R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilhHiQgHZzg

Somewhere in the beginning they say the sensors are similar IQ at base ISO then later in the video they say these new cameras have tri color technology that improves color response... which is it? Gordon you have a source to verify this? The other question is that they quote 10 FPS burst, is this in raw too, and what is the burst depth?

Anyways, kudos to Sony for incorporating the tilt screen, something I mentioned in the RX100 thread a year ago.

There is rumor that the RX100 will be discontinued in late 2013, though this video seems to indicate both will go on, would be nice that if the original does get retired that they reduce the price on the new one. I was having a hard time reconciling the price on the Canon G1X ($799) when it first came out, same here with the RX100 II ($749).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:27 am 

Great little camera that Sony. But no EVF included in the body.
Out of competition for me. :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:30 am 

Decent review. Some of the photos aren't comparing the same position of the image, so it's hard to get a good feel of the comparison pictures.

Also wanted to point out that the review is wildly inaccurate when you said "only a handful of smartphones and tablets". Here's a quick rundown of NFC capable phones (just off the top of my head):

Blackberry devices: Q10, Z10, Q5, some older versions as well
Windows Phone 7/8 phones.
HTC One series
Samsung Galaxy S3, 4 / Note series
Google Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 tablet, Nexus 10 tablet
Sony Xperia series
LG Optimus Series
Asus Transformer Infinity

Here's a ton more: (the list is out of date by over a year and is vastly incomplete, as it doesn't include Nexus 4, for example) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NF ... le_devices

That's pretty much every major platform / company out there since about a year ago. It's not a "handful" by any definition of the word. Granted, not all of these are PlayMemory capable, but that's asides the point...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:00 pm 

I have read most all the articles posted on the review of Sony RX 100 II and it appears to me that each of them are missing one element - what is the capacity (storage) for the camera. Does it have internal storage capacity already or do you have to but an SD Card? I know it discusses the number of images it capable of, but for an amateur like myself I would think that information would be helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:09 am 

Quote:
Does it have internal storage capacity already or do you have to but an SD Card?

Sorry, it does not have any built-in storage. (I'd venture a guess that the same is true for most cameras nowadays.) So you will need to provide an SD card (or Sony memory stick) unless you can find a deal with the camera and card bundled together.

Mark