Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:39 pm 

:( From what i see hear NO one bought or used a NEX-7 :shock: The more i read the more i see the NEX 5N as the camera everyone has. 8)

Last week i was invited for lunch in a 12th centuary convent.I had my NEX 5N & Summicron 40mm Leica lens,which is very compact,very good,and very inexpensive :shock: I was told it cant be used on a Leica????Except the Minolta??

When i looked at my "snaps"later i saw the woman in the image frame being quite natural,i think its due to useing the screen,i was looking down to focus,not "pointing"at the subject through a viewfinder

As ive nerver heard of or seen anyone hear or anywhere else every useing owning a NEX6/7 i can only think that the viewfinder is not so usefull while being very very costly

Is it better to buy a NEX5N/R & Leica summicron with enough money over to buy a new bag & shoes than buy a NEX 7???? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:11 pm 

I got to play around with a friend's NEX-7 a while ago. He got one on loan from Sony to try out for a while. Quite liked the camera, though I can see why one would want to use Leica optics on them, as the Sony lenses are just too large.

The main advantage of having a viewfinder, for most people, is being able to compose and meter properly under bright sunlight. Though LCD-screens have become better over the years, reflecting less, I've found they're hard if not impossible to use on sunny days. Besides that, I personally prefer composing through a viewfinder. It feels more intuitive, works a lot faster, and you'd be surprised by the low amount of attention it draws (with my Leica anyway).

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 pm 

Thanks for replying.

Yes i agree Today i would love to have had a veiwfinder,i was in Carcassonne and focusing a 21mm lens perfectly took time,im still not used to ignoring the focus scale compleatly

My posts hear are/were aimed at finding out how useful an EVF is,after all i paid 180€ for a Leica CL body a few weeks ago,(i felt i wanted an analogue camera,when im buying Leica M mount lenses)A cheap throw away NEX-6 costs around 500€ and while i know how an optical veifinder is(i also have a FED 111c copy) ive never looked through an EVF

I guess not many others have either.

NEX lenses dont just look ugly, are not just large, but dont compared to Voitglander and Leica leses, the NEX range inluding the zeiss seem very poor indeed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Have you read our review of it? Both Ken and I really rate the NEX 7 - and the NEX 6 - which both share the same electronic viewfinder. It's one of the best EVFs around.