Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 am 
Site Admin

Hello everyone, today Pentax announced its new Q system camera.

Yes it has removeable lenses. No, it doesn't have a DSLR sensor.

PENTAX’s great know-how in terms of miniaturization has been a major asset in enabling the PENTAX Q to be the smallest and lightest of the mirrorless cameras in the world*. Its body’s width is only 3.1 cm. On the other hand, thanks to PENTAX’s high knowledge in digital SLR development, the user can easily enjoy very high-quality pictures, and a full array of features only available on SLRs and mirrorless cameras.

With a high-resolution, 12.4 megapixel back illuminated 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor, the PENTAX Q offers a wide range of advanced features, amongst which the newly developed, super-compact Q-mount lenses. Five different lenses will be available at the launching date.

The camera also provides solid and highly reliable performance, thanks to features such as: high speed continuous shooting at a maximum speed of five images per second; low noise in high sensitivity of ISO 6400; a high-quality magnesium-alloy body finish and a large 3’’ LCD monitor of 460 000 dots with a wide-angle view of 170°. In addition, the PENTAX Q comes with a full HD movie function with H.264 recording format at 30 fps, with an HDMI output. It even offers such functional, user-friendly features as a multi-mode exposure system including manual functions such as the Aperture-Priority AE mode and a Custom image function to give the optimum finishing touch to each image. Same as for digital SLR models, the PENTAX Q is equipped with a set of dependable devices — an in-body SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism and a DRII (Dust Removal II) anti-dust mechanism — enabling beginners to effortlessly capture beautiful, brilliant images free of blurring or spots. The PENTAX Q also offers the latest image-processing tools, including a bokeh control function to adjust the intensity of the blur effect around the subject especially regarding portraits, as well as a creative Smart Effect function to produce highly artistic images with distinctive touches.

By adding the new Q mount to existing K and 645 medium-format mounts, PENTAX now offers three different lens mounts to further enhance the creativity and versatility of its digital interchangeable-lens camera systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:40 am 

Interesting that one of the smallest manufacturers has these 3 different mounts. I suspect R&D budgets will force the retiring of one of them.

At first I thought this was pointless - it's basically a compact with interchangeable lenses. The small sensor will likely go unnoticed by many buyers though as it's not really one of the specification highlights for most people.

It's actually a wonder why this was never done before. The 3 compacts I've owned were all different brands. Had I bought this, then I would likely have stayed (invested) with Pentax.

The bokeh control will be somewhat pointless though, but it will be interesting to see how IQ progresses with this tiny sensor system. Afterall, Pentax arguably has the best IQ among the APS-C crowd.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Last edited by kimchi on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:19 am 
$800 price tag doesn't justify of its body styling looks like a toy camera & an interchangeable lens with 1/2.3 Sensor? :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:44 am 

Too big and expensive, but if they survive long enough maybe a future generation will address both those issues.

I've always wondered what a system built around a small sensor would be like, as that will finally be able to deliver the small lenses to go with the smaller bodies. But the difference isn't quite enough for me here.

Side note on sensor, I make it about 5.7x crop factor, so about the same as the one in the 16MP HX9V I recently got.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 am 

Hi folks,

Interesting. A back-illuminated sensor with, roughly, 1.5 μm pixels behind a removable lens mount. This might be just the ticket for planetary astro-photography and it does 1080p/30 as well which might play into RegiStax based lunar photography. Yes, the Pentax Q may be the new web-cam of choice for astrophotographers as soon as somebody offers a suitable lens mount adapter. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 am 
I hope this huge marketing mistake will explode in Pentax' face,I'm tired of seeing how many useless ideas they came up with. They're so chaotic,because they try everything without a clear strategy of why they're doing it.
A compact camera with exchangeable lenses will mean huge costs (for the camera & lenses manufacturing) & also,it's hard to point out a relevant market share. If I had money to spare,the Panasonic Four Thirds or the Sony NX series will be a much more interesting buy,than anything with a smaller sensor. Besides,the Four Thirds have already some very decent & compact lenses out there. Or why not,the gorgeous Fuji camera,which old film photographers might be very fond of,because of it's retro design. (& very good performances)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:06 am 

Hi folks,

Prompted by a comparison I saw elsewhere I thought I'd do a side by side size comparison between the "New Q" and the Sony NEX-C3:
Not only is it a lot smaller but it's got buttons. I guess we'll have to wait on the reviews but the size of the sensor and consequent limitations on the diameter of the associated lenses will restrict shallow depth of field effects of the "Q" compared to the larger sensor compact system cameras. That said, I can't help thinking that Pentax may have spotted a niche here, certainly much more so than the likes of Ricoh or Sigma IMHO. Good luck to them, I say. :)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 am 
Bob,you really thing they have spotted..anything? I mean,this camera will be pretty expensive,right? So what would stop consumers to buy a high-end compact instead?(like the LX5 or G12) That features a lot of nice stuff,including a flash hot shoe & a slightly bigger sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:49 am 

I take back my earlier comment on it not being small enough. I have just got a ruler out and compared it to my HX9V - they're near enough the same size! Of course the Q will have the disadvantage of whatever lens is attached but it is still seriously small.

That is the big differentiator between it and "bigger" sensor models before it. The lens can finally be smaller than SLR-like sizes and I think this is what the whole mirrorless market has been waiting for to truly realise its potential.

My concern on the price remains though.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:21 pm 

Hi Razvan,

Yes, I do. This isn't a camera likely to appeal to DSLR fans but for compact users looking to "upgrade" it has to appeal in the same way as micro four-thirds does. Here on the forum we understand the limitations of the sensor size (as well as at least one possible advantage) but the marketing guys won't be talking about any of that. They'll be promoting "small size" plus "change lenses like a DSLR" unless I miss my mark, possibly with a handbag or two featuring as well. I don't believe the "new Q" will take over the world but I'm sure that this time next year I'll be seeing these cameras in the hands of at least some of the large numbers of Japanese tourists who come to enjoy the delights of the Cotswolds here in the UK. And, quite seriously, it may even feature on my own shopping list next year as an alternative to a web-cam for planetary astrophotography. So I have to big it up, don't I? :twisted:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:04 pm 

Hi folks,

Engadget have a hands on video here. Some interesting words on bokeh in that one.

And Akihabara News have uploaded this video to Vimeo which shows the "Q" in a very snazzy half case. I can see the ladies, if I may make so bold, really liking the look of that.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:09 pm 
boké :D nice explanation indeed
well,it's somewhat smaller than other cameras yes(& probably better built) ,but the finger-nail-size-sensor is making me wonder...also,those budget lenses with distortsions the guy was talking about makes me thing they could include very bad Pentax optics for that camera system,which would suck,Pentax already has poor budget zooms for normal APS-C cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 pm 

On the assumption that Pentax do provide an adapter for its existing DSLR lenses I wonder what the pros and cons would be? On the face of it the Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM, with it's excellent centre resolution at f/1.4 (review), would offer the equivalent of very nearly a 500mm telephoto. You'd probably need to operate at f/2.8 or brighter to avoid excessive diffraction softening, assuming the centre of the image from that lens is effectively diffraction limited in its resolving power. And any adapter would need to be designed very much with removing stray light that regular DSLR lenses would be providing outside the relatively tiny sensor.

Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away here as the Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM isn't cheap and I'm sure the bulk of the target market won't be in the least interested in that body/lens combination but for those prepared to think out of the box the Pentax Q may offer some unique options at prices APS-C cameras couldn't approach. But, as always, so much depends on the reviews. I wonder if Pentax/Hoya would break with tradition and get a review sample over to Gordon, assuming he has the time to do a review in the first place?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Pentax are so narrow-minded they can't - or won't - figure out a way to provide equipment for me to test just becuase I'm not based in a large country. Remember this is something which doesn't present a challenge to any other company, and lest we forget really only involves an investment of sparing a product for a couple of weeks and around $75 USD postage.

As such I do not expect to personally receive a Pentax Q for testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 pm 

I wasn't holding my breath given their past record. :evil: