Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:32 am 
I talked with a long time camera man now retired... we talked about camera in general... he basically said what some of you in other forums have said... stay with the better brands Canon and Nikon, but he went a little further... he also said why... he said Pentax is a dieing brand... anyone have thoughts on that?

Chukers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:08 am 
Pentax made a lot of dumb decissions marketing wise & development wise. And this happened while they were helped by strong partners. I think Pentax needs 10 years to rise up to the competition. (unless they still mentain their stupid understanding on what the customers need)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:03 am 

Hi chukers,

I certainly hope not as they produce some good cameras and, unlike the big players, still have a commitment to MF with their 645 line. Maybe they are right to stick with their current business model rather than spending big bucks trying to outsell Canon/Nikon/Sony etc. and risking a catastrophic failure if it all goes pear-shaped.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:34 pm 
That is a good point Bob... so many companies do exactly that... they try to out do their competition and in the end it ruins them!

I am considering a Pentax as my first DSLR... I'm just trying to get all the info I can before I make my first "real" camera purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:17 pm 
Chukers - Pentax is now owned by Hoya, and if you check Hoya's business reports, you'll see that Hoya isn't exactly "fading away". As Razvan correctly says, the folk running Pentax a few years back did make some "strange decisions", which after some "kerfuffles", resulted in the Hoya takeover.

Since then, the former "stuck in a rut" policy has changed markedly, and as well as good midrange crop-body DSLRs, Pentax has produced some good "popular market" entry-level DSLRs - the K-M, K-X, and the new and improved K-R, which is all the very good K-X was, and more, including new focus-screen and options on power-modes. (I was saving for a K-X, but now with a bit more saving, it'll shortly be a K-R.)

Pentax DSLRs do have some good features going for them - along with Sony, the Shake Reduction is in the camera body, not the lenses, so users don't need to choose between the "economy" version of a lens, without SR, and the more costly "deluxe" version that has SR.

That certainly doesn't bother the Semi-Pro and Pro folk using Canons and Nikons - they either afford the lenses with SR - or have the skills needed to get excellent results with the non-SR lenses.

However, for hobbyists and enthusiasts, that can be a factor. I'm just a hobbyist about to get my first DSLR, on a low fixed income, and the idea that every lens put on a Pentax body has SR is a very welcome feature.

Yes, I did look at Sony, which is now doing some very good cameras - but Sony doesn't have a previous 40+ years of K-Mount, M42, CZ (Carl Zeiss), Russian, and other Film-SLR lenses Sony bodies can use.

I'll at first get one "modern automatic" lens with the K-R body - probably the std-version Sigma 17-70mm as a 'walkaround' lens - it starts at f/2.8, unlike the f/3.5 of the "kit" 18-55mm, and has a bit more 'reach'.

Then, until I can afford the very good, but reasonably priced, Pentax DA ED 55-300mm, I already have a lineup of K-Mounts - 3 Sigmas, including a 100-300mm - and M42s, a best-of-type Asahi-Pentax Optics Takumar SMC 55mm f/1.8 for a "55-prime", a Takumar 135mm f/3.5, and a Tamron 80-210mm - to use...

Sure - the M42s are all Manual - but they're also an "in" to the M42, Takumar, Tamron, etc, Clubs on Pentax forum. Quite fascinating to a keen hobbyist...! Certainly, hardly "mainstream" - but a pretty good way to really learn how DSLRs work.

Now, of course, I'll need some more nice-optics primes, so I'm looking out for a good-condition SMC Takumar 300mm f/4 for around $200.00 or so - there's a very similar K-Mount, but those can be $300.00+....

Will take a bit more saving - but that's part of the fun-and-learning of it... And have you priced Canon and Nikon 300mm primes, lately....? A bit out of my budget-range - but doing Pentax makes it possible.

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:58 pm 
Thank you Dave for all that info... we seem to be in the same boat... I am moving from the P&S camera into the DSLR cameras and it just seems the Pentax entry levels k-x and k-r seem to be a perfect fit for me. I have been exhaustively searching for something close to them in other brands in that same price/performance range but there just aren't many. (Nikon D3100) yeah I am looking for one camera that can do it all on a budget... like I said in another post... I gotta start somewhere...

Chukers

Last edited by chukers on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

If Pentax are serious about sticking around, they should improve their relationships with the press for starters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:26 pm 
Pentax treats everyone like garbage,like they were Leica or something :lol: ok,jokes aside,I bet good money that Pentax cannot become a true brand unless they make some drastic changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:37 pm 

Don't be so negative!

Pentax don't need to become a true brand: they did that years ago. Check out their Timeline page for a trip down memory lane. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:56 pm 
I love their history :) ..before the digital era

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:55 am 
Chukers - Pentax at present seems to be positioning itself a bit awkwardly in the market. The K-X and now K-R are very popular in Japan and the Asian markets, but their pricing in the EU and US puts the K-R up against the ever-popular two entry-level and one-up DSLRs from Canon and Nikon.

It appears, too, that many are looking at the Pentax "range" - just 2 DSLRs - both pretty good - but where's (going on Sydney prices with 18-55mm kit lens) - the low-cost entry-level Pentax, below the $889.00 K-R, and the $1,749.00 K-5?

That is, where's the "getting-started" $600-700.00 camera - and the one about, say, $1,200.00, between K-R and K-5?

Then, they have "no plans at present" for a Full-Frame DSLR, for the more enthusiastic hobbyists and the professionals.... That gives the keener folk who might well like the K-5, "nowhere to go" above that, even a higher-end crop-body.

They do their Medium Format 645D, said to be very good - but at $9,000.00+ in the US, and around $12,000.00 here in Australia, one would need a more enthusiatic wallet than most have.

There are very good reasons for hobbyists and enthusiasts to buy Pentax at present - but a somewhat wider range of choices might attract more interest....

It's now up to Hoya to decide what they'll do with Pentax, but having a wider range, more options, and a rather better attitude to advertising and the media - as Gordon mentioned - would be advisable and beneficial.

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:53 am 
When Did Hoya buyout Pentax?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:45 am 

chukers wrote:
When Did Hoya buyout Pentax?

Try Googling Hoya buys Pentax and telling us the answer yourself! :P :lol:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:59 pm 
Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:22 pm 

Bonjour,

My first dSLR was a Pentax because it offered the best value, or "bang per buck".

I discovered digital photography back in 2000 with a Canon S10 featuring 2 M pixels. Price tag: 800 EUR, but it was something big and promising. I updated to a Canon A70 in 2003, enjoying some of the manual controls.

Actually, I went back to true photography when I bought a Pentax *ist DL in 2006! I eventually had to re-learn the depth of field... The Pentax *ist DL was a great camera, despite somehow over-processed colours in automatic mode. But the main point was, I was using the manual controls more and more, enjoying the freedom of taking my picture and pushing the limits.

So the Pentax K10D offered the big jump in 2007, also with the re-use of the classic Pentax DA zooms 18-55 and 50-200 mm I already owned. The quality of the K10D's sensor asked for better lenses. So I got the DA* zoom 50-135mm in 2007, the 16-50mm in 2008 and the 60-250mm in 2009.

The K10D was an excellent camera, but the AF was somehow slow, continuous shooting limited at 3.5 fps, and the industry keeps delivering exiting new features, as live view, horizon adjustment, enhanced dynamic range and so on. With a Pentax K-7under the 1,000 EUR frontier, I changed for a K-7, keeping my precious DA star lenses.

Main subjects are family, landscapes, wild life and architecture.