Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentax KX / K7
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm 
Hello evryone. :)

My name is Carlos and Ive been researching a few different cameras. (looking to buy). A couple that have caught my attention is the Pentax KX and the Pentax K7.

Im looking for my first dslr, and I dont want to spend too too much, but I want something that I can upgrade down the road... (body) so what Im looking for is a camera that I can always keep the lenses for when I upgrade the body down the road.

The KX seems to be a decent little dslr and the price tag isnt outstanding for what it has to offer. Im looking to take a fair bit of low light and landscape photos, as well as macro photos which I will be purchasing a specific lens for.

Is there any reason why I shouldnt be looking into the KX??
Or should I just hold off a bit fot the K7??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 pm 
Why are you settled on Pentax can I ask?

(Not that there's anything wrong with them :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:32 pm 
Im not "set" on any brand haha. but I think that these two cameras deserve a look at, no? Considering Pentax has been building cameras for as long as most.

Plus I dont hae to spend extra to have the VR built into the lenses when I purchase them later on, and I can pretty well fit any Pentax lens on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:00 am 
You are right about any Pentax lens fitting onto any Pentax body. Just be aware that any older Pentax lenses will usually be manual focus.

Choosing the product line to invest in is not an easy decision since you are going to be using your lenses for years to come so weigh in all the options before finally deciding on what you want. It's great that you've already thought about what is important to you and the KX will certainly offer you all of those options you seek. Have you held the KX yet? It is a bit of a smaller body aimed at people making the move from Point and shoot to a DSLR so if you have larger hands make sure you are comfortable holding it. If you intend on upgrading in the next year or two then it would be a good choice however if you are looking to get your money's worth out of your camera, the K7 will leave you plenty of room to grow over the years.

I noticed that you mentioned spending more for VR lenses if you were to get a Nikon camera. For the most part the price ranges between the two aren't much off. Yes you can use older Pentax lenses on your camera but like I said it will be manual focus unless it is an F, FA, FAJ or DA series lenses which can sometimes cost almost as much. Investing in your glass is much more important then investing in your camera body.

If you have indeed decided on Pentax, Id say your on the right path but if your still undecided may I suggest the Nikon D300S or the Canon D7. IF your going with a bit of a lower budget try the Nikon D7000 or the Canon 60D or T2i.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:48 pm 

Hello

May I suggest that you hold which ever camera you buy prior to buying it.

For example I have the K10d - at the time of purchase I had no brand loyalty so I reserched all offerings and was open to all until I held them.

Having handled the camera's I discounted the Canon 400d and 30d, the whole Olympus range and was left to decide between the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K10d - as you can see the Pentax won partly due to the in body stabilisation :D

Whilst I agree that Pentax may be the right route handle all of you possibilities I think is my best advice.

One word of warning is that I believe that some of the lower priced Nikon bodies have no af motor in the body, if this is true of the latest offerings only lenses with built in motors will autofocus and these lenses often cost more. I am not saying that Nikons are bad it's just that having an autofocus motor in the body of the camera is a must in my opinion - check the model if you do look at Nikons to be certain. :D

I use M42 lenses and other manual focus lenses on my K10d and love them, I also like my af lenses as well though :D

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/