Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Updated K10d
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:27 pm 
I know no one really knows the answer to this question. But can anyone make an educated guess as to when the K10D will be updated? I am considering purchasing either the k10d or the nikon d80 but they are both over a year old now and my experience with electronics tells me a year old product is soon to be updated. Would it make sense for the K10d to be updated before Xmas season?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'd be surprised to see an update before Christmas, but the annual PMA show comes round at the end of January, so there could be announcements there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:40 am 

Bonjour qksilver,

Apart from the calendar mentionned by Gordon (Bonjour Gordon :!: ), there's another point for the next vs actual offer.

As always, you have the choice
  • if you aren't in a hurry, wait for the next product, with possible delays (look at the Pentax DA* lenses: one year between announcement and availability :( ) and check reviews before purchasing it;
  • if you need a dSLR right now, go for today's offer: well-known, fully tested, distinguished with awards :) , reliable D80 or K10D.

In France, K10D and D80 prices are 10% lower than before July-August holidays. This seems rather normal, since peak season is before holidays. Extra bonus comes from the EUR / USD exchange rate, making imports cheaper since September. That's terrific value before X-mas holidays :!:

Best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:45 am 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to go with the K10d. I have a few old school pentax lenses that I can use with it and I an traveling to peru (machu pichu) in november and decided that having the camera a month ahead of time to fully familiarize myself with its functions would be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:53 am 

Hi qksilver,

Congratulations for your choice!

The K10D is a very nice dSLR and I'm very happy with it. I wrote a :arrow: user review that may help you.

Since it has a learning curve, getting familiar and playing with it for a month is a very good idea.

Enjoy your camera and your travel to Peru :!:

Best regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:11 am 
i agree the K10d , is an amazing camera , i recommend buying the Af-540 external flash for it too . it will never let you down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:50 am 

Hi qksilver,

Congratulations on your purchase. It sounds like the perfect solution for you. Enjoy your Peru trip. It'd be lovely to see some pictures on your return.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

You'll love Machu Picchu - it's somewhere I always wanted to visit, then when I finally made it, it felt seriously unreal. If I could give you just three tips, it would be the following:

1: Make sure you're there early or preferrably later, beating the crowds or hanging around after they've gone. the light is also better early or late, but get the hang of exposure compensation and shooting in RAW becuase it can be challenge to get the result you want.

2: For sure take the famous shots, but also explore the full site if you have time - you can easily get away from the crowds.

3: If you're staying in the Machu Picchu village at the bottom of the mountain, consider eating in the indoor market. Some great local food and considerably cheaper than the restaurants!

Here's one of my favourite shots taken at the end of the day - and for once I didn't mind someone - or something - walking in front of me as I took the photo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:29 pm 

Here's another tip based on the unfortunate experience of a friend of mine:

4: Take some Immodium with you to help you get through the day if you are unlucky enough to have a "stomach upset". :x

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:20 am 
Site Admin

Ahem, er yes, perhaps if you also take my advice to go to the market!