Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:57 am 
I could not find an official press release on Kodak's web site so i'm posting this link to the story: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1181811769.html.

They modified the traditional RGB (Bayer) filter by introducing "clear" (panchromatic) pixels (there are for now 3 different patterns). The result - a gain of up to 2 stops! I wouldn't mind for my D40 to have an ISO 6400 with the same image quality it has now at ISO 1600 :wink:

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Sounds promising, but will it stop Sony's dominance in supplying sensors to most of the industry? Foveon's sensor was (and still is) fantastic, but hardly anyone ended up using it...

It is about time the industry stopped sacrificing noise for resolution though - the sensor manufacturers simply have to find new ways to make their sensors more, well, sensitive!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:22 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Sounds promising, but will it stop Sony's dominance in supplying sensors to most of the industry?

I'm not sure that's what Kodak is looking for... they would probably be very happy to license the technology and earn a buck or two for every camera made by anybody with the new color filters :wink:

Gordon Laing wrote:
Foveon's sensor was (and still is) fantastic, but hardly anyone ended up using it...

From what I've read and seen the new sensor in the SD14 is a clear improvement over the previous one, but still has some issues. Or is it the surrounding electronics used by Sigma? Are you planning to review the SD14?

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Darrin, I'm certainly intrigued by the SD14, but like the Fujifilm S5 Pro, both are cameras with limited demand compared to the bigger models. The question as always is with limited resources, which products do you review?

If there's sufficient demand for an SD14 and S5 Pro review, then I'll look into them. Although I could always do a mini test of the sensor capabilities...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:57 am 

I think the technology's ideal environment will prove to be compacts and cam-phones. Ideal at parties.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:16 pm 
I was under the impression that Sigma had an exclusive arrangement with Foveon and that the Foveon sensor wasn't available to other manufacturers.