Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Filters
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:19 pm 
Hiya,

Well I have been having fun playing with my new camera and I got to wondering about playing with filters, I was wondering if a review of the different types might be something we could do?

When I picked the UV filters I went for Hoya HMC was it worth it? Well if I hold it upto the light to compare with a cheapy one there is a huge difference. The cheap one is quite reflective the hoya isnt.

I'm not sure how, but testing the common makes of uv and circ polarizing would be interesting. (are polarizing worth it?) Obviously there is not much point in warming etc as with a Dslr and you can do it post image.

When I was looking everyone seems to have a fav, but not based on any evidence.

I also stumbled on this http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/e500.html site that uses infrared filters, which I quite liked, I thought I would order one and have a play. Any others worth considering?[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:45 pm 

Hi Althalus,

I once was a fan of pol-filter only. The reason: The pol-filter is the only one, which you cannot really simulate in software.
After some practicing, I would question whether there is a compelling reason to use a pol-filter: If you leave it on, it sucks a lot of light (1-2EV), and it has to be turned to the right angle all the time.This is to laborious for me :cry:
Today I use UV-filter solely for the purpose of front lens protection (after having to clean the lenses in New Zealand too often).