Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:27 pm 
Hi, this is my firs post in the forum and I'm also about to make the jump to my first dSLR. BTW Gordon, I love your video reviews, it's nice to see the equipment one is planning to buy handled and explained by a pro, it gives you a very clear idea of what to expect (and what not) from the product one is considering.

Yves, I don't want to put you back into struggle just when it seems you've made you decision, but are you sure the D40x is the best choice for sport shooting? I mean amateur sport shooting of course, it's plain that pros out there use equipment (both the bodies and the lenses) far superior and well beyond the budget of almost everybody.

Perhaps Gordon or any other more experienced person will correct me, but it seems to me that one of the weaker points of the D40/D40x is that they only come with 3 AF areas (while the incredible D80 has 11 and the EOS 400D has 9 directly inherited from it's upperend sister the EOS 30D). I think you could find yourself loosing a few shots in Nurgburgring with the D40x that you wouldn't with the EOS 400D or better still the D80.

Note that I'm trying to show you the posible advantages of going for another model while I'm almost decided to buy myself a D40 (I'm not using my camera for printing life size posters at present :mrgreen: so I'll spend the money of those extra 4 MPs of the D40x on another lens or perhaps a flash). The difference is that I'm not planning to shoot sports regularly (though perhaps on ocasion) so the 3 point AF is not such a big issue for me, nor having to navigate a little more through the menus to adjust ISO or WB, I'm a newbie and as such I just have to love the in-camera help system of the D40/D40x. As for the EOS 400D, I love it, specially it's auto cleaning device, but it's a bit more expensive than the D40 and the kit lens is far worse that the Nikon's, so I think the D40 will be the starting point for me, in a couple of years perhaps I'll upgrade the body to the descendant of the D80.

To make my point with just one phrase: I'm pretty sure the D40/D40x is capable of making stunning fast action pictures, but I also think that you would fare better with a few more AF points (specially the D80, which BTW comes with the incredible 18-70mm kit lens, far superior to the 18-55mm of the D40 and a world away from those of the 400D).

Cheers from Spain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:52 pm 

Yeah, the many AF-areas of the D80 is astonishing, but does not prevent the cam from focussing on the wrong point in complex situations.
And you have to know, that the multi-Af is only availabe in automatic mode, not in P(rogram)/S(hutter)/A(perture)/M(anual) or Sports :!: :shock:
So the D40(x) might not be too far away from a good sports cam!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Beren23, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Yep, the 3-point AF systems of the D40(x) and the current Olympus DSLRs aren't best-suited to tracking moving (off-centre) subjects, but as Thomas says, some modes don't support the full capabilities anyway, and there's also some other technologies which can really benefit in this kind of photography.

I'd say the most important piece of equipment if you're really into sports - or indeed any other subject where there's potentially fast action - is a lens which can focus quickly. There's a big difference between many lenses in this respect and if it's something you're serious about, it's well worth trying a few out first to see how you get on - even just outside a camera store, trying to focus on people walking towards you on a highstreet can be a challenge...

You're right though, I'd sooner have a 9 or 11 point AF system if I was really getting into that type of photography...

Beren23, good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide on!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:59 pm 
*edit*

>> check post below! :wink:

Last edited by Yves on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:08 pm 

That is some serious gear, Yves! Good Luck :!:
Don't forget to update your signature and report about your experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:14 am 
Oh my god I'm such an idiot.

>> I started thinking again and again, I could hardly sleep! :lol:

The replies and several other issues kept bothering me about the D40x so I changed my order!!! :roll:

Here's my super-combo (god I'm happy I made this decision, sorry for all the doubts and posts here).

Nikon D80
AF-S DX 18-135mm
Lowepro Nova mini
2GB SD Card

Thank you one last time for all the help. I'm getting it tomorrow!

>> You must all think I'm quite crazy now :o .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:27 pm 
And here we go, just picked it up from the store!

I'll continue my D80 story in the User Review and Nikon section.

Thank you Cameralabs.com (and forum members) for all the helpful information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:48 pm 
Hi, I'm back! First of all thanks for your welcome and comments.

Yves, congratulations on your choice!

As for choices, I finally made mine too. I've finally ordered a Nikon D40, the D80 was definitively out of my league in terms of budget, and as for the D40x, I didn't feel like paying more than 200 € difference basically just for a bunch of megapixels that I really beleive I don't need (it's great that Nikon designed the D40x for those who need that extra resolution though) I plan to spend those euros in the 55-200mm VR.

I can't wait for the arrival of my order! I went to the store to grab it, give it a try and see how it felt, it surpassed all my expectations, I'm kind of a big guy and the grip is simply marvellous, with all due respect, far better than the 400D which felt too small in my hands. Speaking of the Canon 400D... it was a close one, I loved the direct access to WB, ISO, etc, and the sensor cleaning devices, but the beatiful menu and help system, the better quality lenses and the slightly lower price of the D40 finally won the day for Nikon (Too bad, now I'll have to stick to Nikon optics forever! :lol:)

I'll let you guys know when I have my camera home.

Bye!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Yves, Hi Beren, congratulations on your purchases! We look forward to hearing how you get on!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:31 am 
Congrats on your puchase beren23!

beren23 wrote:
(Too bad, now I'll have to stick to Nikon optics forever! :lol:)

Not really necessary! There are already a number of Sigma lenses that autofocus on the D40, and I strongly believe that all 3rd party lens manufacturers will soon start making Nikon-mount lenses with internal focus motors. After all, they put focus motors in Canon lenses...

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:32 am 
Superb choice, beren23!

Congratulations and good luck with the Nikon. I had a go at the 55-200 VR Nikon lens and it is very good!

Nikon seems to be doing well here on the cameralabs forum. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:12 pm 
Darrin wrote:
beren23 wrote:
(Too bad, now I'll have to stick to Nikon optics forever! :lol:)

Not really necessary! There are already a number of Sigma lenses that autofocus on the D40, and I strongly believe that all 3rd party lens manufacturers will soon start making Nikon-mount lenses with internal focus motors. After all, they put focus motors in Canon lenses...

Darrin

Hi Darin, I think I misswrote that one :oops:, I meant that now I'm stuck with Nikon cameras since for now on all the lenses I buy will be Nikon-mount, many things have to change to make me sell all my equipment in a few years to start anew with another brand.

As for third party brands, I hope more nikon-mount in-lens AF models will come out. Thanks for your comments.

Yves wrote:
Congratulations and good luck with the Nikon. I had a go at the 55-200 VR Nikon lens and it is very good!

Thanks for the feedback on the 55-200VR! I'll get one ASAP, I'm visiting Bavaria in August and I want a decent telephoto for some nice landscape shooting over there.

Gordon, I'm not trying to tell you what reviews you should do, but is it any chance that we'll see the 55-200VR reviewed in cameralabs.com? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Beren, feel free to tell me what reviews youd like to see in Cameralabs!

I'm very keen to test the Nikkor 55-200mm, but they're in short supply out here, so haven't been able to get hold of one yet. Once I do though, I'll be posting a full review!

Gordon