Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:33 pm 
A simple and straight forward question really.

I´ve always wondered what the pro´s and con´s whit Live View on a DSLR are?
Or are there, perhaps, no cons at all whit LV?

Cheers

Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:21 pm 
Well i can only see that there a postive things with live view, it doesnt hurt to have it...you can only benefit from it!

thats what i think at least

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:52 pm 

[rant on]
Bah, live-view!

You got to have patience like buddha if you use contrast-based focussing or you get confused counting the clicks of the mirror (not the shutter) when you use it free-hand on a Nikon D3/00 but you are still not sure where the heck the machine focussed unless you zoom in, etc.
It makes the sensor more noisy, because of all the current going through it. And you have a real chance to burn your sensor , when the sun is in the picture.
Plus it doesn't work, when you chose to control your aperture with the aperture ring on D-lenses.

Not worth the hassle unless you're an astronomer with time to spare - if you ask me.
[/rant off]

Seriously: I couldn't care less :!:

----------
Hey Bob: now it's your turn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:09 pm 
Live view, in conjunction with camera control pro (for nikon users) for firing off photos using your computer in a studio setting, is a pretty handy thing to have but I can't imagine any situations when I'd use it otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:10 pm 

Thomas wrote:
...Hey Bob: now it's your turn...

Of course, remote Live View using a notebook screen is best if you can shoot tethered. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:10 am 
If you for some reason don't want to use the viewfinder, I suppose Live View is convenient.

Every non-DSLR camera has had this for..well ages..even camera=hones that doesn't have a viewfinder to begin with.

I suppose it's mostly a matter of habit.

Personally I would not use Live View, mainly because it's a different "feel" to actually use the viewfinder. And more importantly, the "resolution" of the viewfinder is infinitely greater than any LCD - I.e your eyes behold the subject directly as opposed to watching an image of it on a screen. This gives you a much better view of subtleties that you cannot see on an LCD. In addition, the LCD misrepresents the image in terms of color and light.

But to each their own - I'm in favor of anything and everything that makes photography more pleasant or convenient for anyone - I just don't use it, nor would I ever want to pay for it, if I have a choice.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:03 am 
I don't think there are any cons to having live-view. It isn't standard on all DSLRs so just to have it is a pro IMO. So far, the only use for it seems to be EXTREMELY accurate manual focusing so if you can get an SLR with it, go for it but if you can't, no big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:15 am 
I have the Canon 40D that comes with "Live View", for me it is just a "Gimmick"that is included with the camera, have not used this function nor likely to.
I bought the camera for it's build ie. Magnesium Alloy Body over the Plastic one of the 400D that it replaced and it's feel being a slightly larger body than the 400D.
No doubt when Canon replace the 5D whatever it may be called it will include Live View I will consider purchasing it... but it won't be for the Live View facility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:57 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
I don't think there are any cons to having live-view. It isn't standard on all DSLRs so just to have it is a pro IMO. So far, the only use for it seems to be EXTREMELY accurate manual focusing so if you can get an SLR with it, go for it but if you can't, no big deal.

Hey grahamnp,

there is one con - you pay for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:17 pm 

I never use live view either...but more because I am always trying to conserve battery life, when I am out and about...I figure if I can't see it thru the view finder, it is way too busy for the Live View.

Am with Roy on this one...it is an option, secondary to the build of the camera...can take it or leave it...and I guess I bought it hook line and sinker...or at least paid for it...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:34 pm 

and I'm with Roy and patti, sort of. Tried Live View out in the field (well, a field to be precise) and decided it was a waste of time. Maybe wildlife photographers would have a different view?

However, for astrophotography it is a huge advantage.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:44 am 
LahLahSr wrote:
grahamnp wrote:

Hey grahamnp,

there is one con - you pay for it.

Oh yea, forgot that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:13 am 
I use it when I put the camera down on the floor to take a picture, but I don't like how i always have to hit the AUTO AF button, other than that I just use it too mess around with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:29 pm 

I quite like the exposure simulation o the Canon 40d live view.