Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens Hood
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:51 am 
I am planning to buy a lens hood for my camera, and I am wondering if this accesory is necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:41 pm 

Ken Rockwell says, he never uses a lens hood. I for my part almost always have the lens hood attached, because
1. It reduces the probability that you crash or smear something directly on to the front lens
2. It reduces the probability that a strong light source that is not in the field of view of your camera, but shines directly into the lens, reduces the contrast through flare and glare. You can see the devastating effect of a strong sideways light-source here http://www.flickr.com/photos/38912116@N00/399103185/ on a Sigma 10-20mm, here on a Nikon 18-200 http://www.flickr.com/photos/38912116@N00/399102059/ each without lens hood

So you find here the word of caution: "probability". Especially with respect to (2), a lenshood for a zoom can only be optimized for the wide angle view, because otherwise it would cut off some part of the pic. From that it is clear, that a lens hood cannot always give optimal protection esp. at the long end of a zoom. But typically a zoom extends at the long end and is thus far better protected by its own contruction against stray light than in its wide angle position. The other thing, that should be clear from this: only buy a lens hood specifically designed for your lens!

Coming back to Ken Rockwell: I think he sometimes uses his hand to protect his lens from the glaring sun :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:18 pm 
Thanks for the info tombomba2. Appreciate it very much! 8) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm very surprised to hear you say Ken Rockwell doesn't use lens hoods!

I think they're pretty much essential for reducing glare unless the sun is always directly behind you.

Sure they can make the camera look big, but most good designs can be reversed over the lens barrel for transportation.

But yep, I've also used my hands plenty of times to work as adjustable lens hoods! Just remember what you see through a DSLR viewfinder may not be the entire frame it's capturing, so don't get your hand too close to the frame, or it'll end up in it!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:27 am 

Cheers Gordon!

You know that Ken Rockwell is a very outspoken man. So here is the snippet I referred to from his test of the Nikon 18-70mm:
Quote:
I never use lens hoods so no problem. I just use my hand to block the light of the sun if it's shining directly into the lens, which works a lot better than the hood when you need it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:37 pm 
No need to buy one - http://www.lenshoods.co.uk

Print one out and see if it works for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:57 pm 

Ha, that's fun!

But I can't imagine how to afix them...