Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:27 am 
Hey mods :-)

not sure about how to go about this, so I thought I'd ask here:

Could I petition you to consider allowing images up to 800 pixels wide in the forums in general?

I understand that the reasoning behind the current 700 pixel limit is considerate of users with not-so-large monitors and the potential to break the forum-formats as it would push out the right-side margins beyond the monitor.

When performing an experiment on my own monitor at a 1024X768 resolution, an 800 pixel wide image do not break the forums.

I'm also wondering if anyone are still using an 800X600 resolution on their monitor?

My reason for asking is that I feel that images below 800X600 really suffer on a number of levels.

I'd greatly appreciate if you would consider my question and I will of course bow to your wisdom in this matter, whatever reply/decision you may offer :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:18 am 

I sense a distubance in the force, Lah. Wonder how we can accomplish this request...will wait for the answers.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:16 am 
Site Admin

The size limit is so not to break the forum frame, which itself is optimised for a 1024x768 display.

The safe size is actually a little bigger than 700 pixels, but we chose that size for a round number that's easy to remember and for occassions when avatars also get too big!

There's also a consideration issue for those with slower connections - these bigger photos can really slow down a thread.

A 700 pixel wide image is pretty big though - I think most compositions look fine at that size or smaller, and remember people can always link to a bigger or full size image on their own webspace or flickr if desired.

So for now anyway, I'd request that everyone keeps their images at 700 pixels wide or less when embedding them in a post. If you want to show a bigger photo, please link to it instead!

Thanks,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:43 am 
Yeah I actually think it's better to put a thumb nail and link it to a bigger image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 pm 

Maybe it would be possible to allow bigger images only in certain threats, like "On assignment" for example. That way, users with slower connection speeds can choose for themselves whether they want to wait a little longer.

marzy wrote:
Yeah I actually think it's better to put a thumb nail and link it to a bigger image.

That would probably be best, link the photo to a bigger image.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:35 pm 
No offense gordon but what do u consider a slow internet connection? But i agree a 700 pix with a bad internect connection can take some time to load, i actualy rember the time i had dial up (back in the days) surfing the internet was time consuming now its just a spit of a second-.

They did a survey over here in in sweden and the house holds have an average internt connection of 8mbs. And there r barley anye home wtihout internet :D

I dont have a small screen unless 21" is small, i think its quite big :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:03 pm 
Hi Gordon,

message received and understood - thank you for considering my request.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:05 pm 
I am assuming it also has something to do with bandwidth.....

But i agree that the on Assignment pics should be larger...although we can alway put a small pic and link it.
.... or even set up a flckr/photobucket page for us to upload to and voters to view it at.....

but im new...so what do i know..LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

I hear what you're all saying, but I'm going to ask that we stick with 700 pixels for now and link to bigger images if you want to.

Slower connections? How about New Zealand!