Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gordon's Cameras
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:23 am 

Obviously its down to personal preference, but I'm wondering why you always use a Canon camera in your video workshops Gordon? It seems that you prefer Canon to Nikon, and yet in your reviews I often feel Nikon cameras get a very slightly better write up.

Like I said- personal preference, not trying to start an argument etc, just wondering what your reasons are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:05 am 

Hi Steve,

Maybe if you would like to donate another video camera or two then Gordon would use those as well. :lol: :lol:

Give the guy a break. His reviews are scrupulously fair and if CameraLabs reviewed video cameras I'm sure Gordon would use a selection of models as and when they were available. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm 

Bob, I'm sorry you misinterpreted me, I was referring to the DSLR tips videos and just that it appeared that Gordon had personally chosen a Canon model as his DSLR camera. I didn't mean the video camera.

Neither did I mean to imply his reviews weren't fair- quite the opposite, I think Gordon's reviews are some of the most thorough, well detailed and even-handed out there.

Sorry for the confusion, all I meant was I was just curious about Gordon's own personal use of DSLRs and why he has chosen the models he has along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:17 pm 
I have a recollection that I read in the forums that Gordon had to buy a 400D to review as Canon didn't supply him with one. He would be the person to confirm this, but regardless of what camera he chooses to use, he's done a great job in being impartial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:22 pm 
Does it really matter what camera Gorden uses....... I am a firm beleiver that you use the right equiptment to get the best job done....... which you can only do with experience....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:37 pm 
Well it doesnt really matter what camera he uses because he sure does explain the location of every bottom key menu and whot not when using the cannon camera, he says u put in tv mode and then he says what mode it should be other DSLR's for exampel. He states where certains things r located on both cameras, the reviews r just great! VERY easy to understand and for me i just find them great tough me alot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:20 pm 

stevesayskanpai wrote:
...Sorry for the confusion, all I meant was I was just curious about Gordon's own personal use of DSLRs and why he has chosen the models he has along the way.

I'm sorry, in turn, that I didn't read your post carefully enough. :oops:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys, it's no mystery! I use the 400D / XTi for dslrtips simply because it's the best-selling DSLR and a popular model for beginners, so it applies to the biggest target audience of that site. It's also very similar to the previous Canons which were also massive sellers.

I also liked the 400D for the videos because it shows the shooting information on the main screen, so it's easy to capture on the videos. This was quite unusual when it first came out, although has become fairly standard now.

As Alex mentioned though, I always say how the others describe their various modes and labels. Personally I don't like the way Canon uses Av and Tv...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:43 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Personally I don't like the way Canon uses Av and Tv...

In what way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

I mean the labelling - Av and Tv just don't say Aperture and Shutter priority to me! Why not just use A and S like everyone else? I think most people would understand Tv to mean something else!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 pm 
I agree to that stament gordon, Tv? hmm that really got me thinking the first time i held a Cannon camera..it didnt make sense to me!

i guess they just want to be diff, why not go Sa as in (shutter speed automatic) or something along those lines

quite interesting fact, i defently noticed that there are more Cannon user out there..but is sure do like Nikon alot :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
I mean the labelling - Av and Tv just don't say Aperture and Shutter priority to me! Why not just use A and S like everyone else? I think most people would understand Tv to mean something else!

OK, I admit it. When I first got my 400D I tried using Tv to take a picture of my television screen. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Probably not the last blooper I'll make, either. :lol:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure if you're joking Bob, but I can assure you others will have done this, or expected a TV picture to appear on the back. It's a dumb label from Canon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:53 pm 

No Gordon. I wasn't joking. I was just dumb and very green. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:33 am 

Hi Gordon, it all makes sense! :) Except the Tv thing, that is...what does it actually stand for? Have they already used Sv for another mode or something?