Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Nikon D300 test
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:41 pm 
Hello, Gordon.
I read Your report on Nikon D 300 and would like to make a couple remarks/questions.
First, though being a very happy Canon 20D-30D owner, I was surprised about the new Nikon´s reults in your studio shots.
This phenomenon (I don´t know the name for it), that the narrowing parallel lines in the resolution test chart at some point start producing interwining artifacts, is for me more familiar from Canon (actually more so in diagonal lines than these vertical or horizontal).
Usually, what i have seen, Nikon´s lines just softly fade away.
It would seem odd that the D300 would be "worse" in this respect than the D200.
So, is there a possibility that something has affected the test at this point, or has the change of the sensor type to CMOS brought up different behaviour?
Second, I cannot quite agree that there would not be enough improvement in image quality to justify the price difference between D200 and D300.
Maybe, and surely not, if you plan just to take pictures in fair lighting conditions or with a flash.
But if you compare the high ISO/low light results, I think the picture gets quite clearly different. (E.G. on the 1600/3200 ISO testes on dpreview pages, where the Canon 40D is better than the D200), and some other tests, like in german photo magazines, where the 300 D put the 40D clearly behind.
(comparing, like in your test page, to Canon´s 5D doesn´t seem quite fair, since its CMOS sensor being full-size, by nature produces less noise from the bigger pixel elements)
Anyway, thank You, and please give us more tests on lenses, also the longer ones. (the Nikon 80-400 VR is getting interesting third-party rivals these days)

seppo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:51 pm 

Hello seppo, and welcome tho the friendly Camera Labs forum!

Let me just get back on your last remark: Did you have a chance to look at my "Big ultra-long zoom test" here?
Apart from the Sigma 80-400mm OS there should be most qualified contenders in the 80-500 range present. Unfortunately the Nikon was the clear winner here, so it seems to hold true again: you get what you pay for.

I'm personally betting on an upgrade of the old Nikon design to make a truly stunning 80-400mm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi seppo, that effect you're describing is called Moiré and is due to a number of factors including the various filtering in front of the sensor.

As for results from different publications, we all shoot different subjects under different conditions, which is why you'll see some variances. The thing is to find a publication which uses tests and testing techniques which are closest or most relevant to your style of photography.

We always include the studio resolution test, but for me, the really important tests are our outdoor comparisons shot under natural light with the lens focused to infinity. These better show how the camera will perform in real-life situations, unless of course you like to photograph relatively small charts under artifical light at close range.

Gordon