Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:50 pm 
Photoj, this is kinda for you. Or anyone ellse that wants to give feedback

I did take a couple of more images that night of the "canal" so to speak. This image right here break the third rules as Photoj stated on another thread. There is defently too much sky, covers most of the image. But what i was trying to capture was the light of the moon, because this was the day that eclipse was going on and the moon was BRITGH, really bright hadent seen it so bright in a long time, but as you can see it ditn really work.

Personaly i though cropping out the pillars/object in the bottom wouldnt be such a great idea, eveything seemed a bit to perfect the lightning the water how everything was so symeptrical and that object/pillar gave it a lill rubust look!

http://picasaweb.google.com/alexander.b ... 0718021986

Nikon D40X
Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 55mm
Exposure Mode: Shutter Priorityh
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
25 sec - F/5.6
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 100

EDIT: Link update, you should have to do download anything now! Srry guys

Last edited by alex168 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:39 am 
I'm afraid the link doesn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:16 am 

Doesn't work for me either. Is this Picasa? Any advice, anyone?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:47 am 
Um for me it downloaded it and then i had to download acrobat reader its downloading right now so we will see.... and no it didnt work.. grr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:15 am 

There, you numbskulls :)

I personally love the reflection on the water. Maybe a little dull motive, but the shot itself is very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:16 am 
Hello again alex168,

I actually prefer this shot to the one you entered. Here are my thoughts:

You've still got your dust spots that I've already described. The lower ISO really helps and you can see the difference between 800 and 100.

There is too much sky - it would be alright if it were day and you had clouds, but a pitch black sky isn't interesting, so you could crop out the top 1/5th of the frame. Similarly, crop off a little from the bottom to get rid of the red lighting in the middle of the frame edge.

The object does add some foreground interest to the frame, but its out of focus - probably a good thing though because it's not exactly pretty.

That as a composition works better for me, and breaking the rule of thirds here doesn't matter. The three spot AF on the D40X and lack of gridlines don't help, but you get round that by learning to focus then recompose.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:32 am 
Yeah i croped of the top of the image and it sure looked much better as you stated.

I think actualy the noise now came from the fog, is there a way around it? Yeah it snot exactly pretty u can if u where there see the actual cables and whot not! i m not a big fan of cables.

Im not so familiar with focus and recompse, could you elaborate a bit more?

thanx for the tips i love this! it sure made alot of sense to me!

EDIT: i gave my camera some cleaning and those 4 spots that apeard on the previous image, my entery are now gone. I think it was some dust in the mirrow, i used gordon blowing technique and it worked great. I actualy had one of those blowing this used once for an ear infection but it worked exactly the same, just a lill harder rubber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:09 pm 
Focus and recompose at a glance for the D40/x:

There's an Auto Focus Lock (AF-L) button to the left of the thumbwheel on the D40/x. Focus your camera on where you want it to be sharp, and then hold down this button to lock the focus. Then standing on the same spot, you can swivel around the camera to move your frame so that the focal point is where you want it to be in your frame. This is the recomposition part. I think it may be easier to show in real life or with illustrations, but this is the best I can do at the moment. Perhaps you can ask Gordon for a DSLR Tips workshop on this if I haven't made it clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:06 pm 
Nahh i think i get it, like pressin the shutter on the photo bottum half way down so it goes "chiching" i cant descibe the noise and the move the camera around so to speak?

Yeah i think i get you, i kwn waht u mean now, as i rember this is something my dad told me a few years ago with his analog Cannon, but i seem to ahve forgotten, i wasnt familiar with the term that is al :D

Thanx Photoj for all the tips came great in hadny

P.S. i just acidenatly droped my camera with the lens on from like 50cm onto a wooden floor and the lens came of but it sill takes pictures, but its sounds like there i sooomething loose inside the the camera itself....OMG! i m soo worried...should i get this checked up?

I m sooo bumed out!!! stupid me! so TYPICAL! its the fist time this ever happens in 9months that i have had the camera, and i always been so carefull with it , i think the motor in the lens got a bit messed up to, its making a diff sound when autofocusing. The sounds is coming from the the top right of the camera, any one have an idea of what that could be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:12 pm 
Henning91 wrote:

There, you numbskulls :)

I personally love the reflection on the water. Maybe a little dull motive, but the shot itself is very nice.

now i cann se to put up the iamge by quoting u Henning

thanx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:28 pm 

I also love the reflections in the water, and the kind of mist on the left side of the river. However, the thing on the foreground is not so great. You might have used it to create more depth, but for me it doesn't add anything. I would have liked to see just the right side of the river, with the line of the 'coast' (what's the right word?) coming from the bottom right corner.
The colours are good though. I like the atmosphere that the photo has.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:39 pm 
Thank you all for the feedback