Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:50 pm 

I am a new member of this forum and I not an online forum participant generally. I just spent more than half an hour composing my post - when I came to SUBMIT it appears I had been quietly logged out. So I logged back in as it asked, clicked on return to previous page, and hey presto, all my text gone.

How delightful.

Yes now I see "Save draft" but why not autosave ? You could also warn first (and give option to extend) if you're going to time out a session.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:10 pm 

Hi Blessed Almond,

I'm sorry you've had this happen - very frustrating. I'm also not sure why this happened as I'm not aware of any such time-outs on the forum software. I've certainly never seen it or heard of it before - has any other member had this happen?

In terms of recovery, your browser's Back button should be able to come to the rescue should this happen again. If "Submit" fails for any reason you should be able to click the Back button (more than once might be needed) to get back to the relevant Edit page.

BTW, to pick up your point made in your other post about searching, the phpBB forum software is what it is but if you want to do a power search then you can always go to Google and enter a search string in the format

your search terms site:cameralabs.com/forum

For example, check out this Google search.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm 

Sorry to hear you lost all that time writing a now lost post Blessed Almond. I haven't ever been logged out by the system, but I have lost my Internet connection while writing a post (and didn't notice that I had). The browser's back button does indeed seem to work, although I should add I have only tried it with Google Chrome.

One thing I always do whenever I spend a lot of time writing a single post: before I click submit, I just select and copy all the text. That way, if the submission fails, and somehow the back button doesn't work, I have the whole post on my clipboard and can paste it in mere seconds.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux