Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:32 pm 

I love everything about my Nikon d700 except the weight. When I combine it with my 24-70mm 2.8 lens the images are amazing, but it is starting to get too heavy for extended use. I have mostly Nikor lenses w/ a few 'off brand' fish eye lenses. I also own one used Tamaron 28-300 3.5-6.3 - which doesn't seem real impressive to me.
Does anyone know of a camera body that is lighter and still does as good a job as the D700 - or - perhaps you might suggest some techniques to handle a heavy camera. Many Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:15 am 

Hi CameraSuz,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

I was in a similar place back in 2012 with my Canon 5D MkII. I had a good selection of "L" lenses but size and weight meant that increasingly that kit got left at home.

From my Signature below you can see my own solution, one I arrived at pretty much because of the excellent range of lenses available. I didn't need the ultra-shallow depth of field that my Canon kit offered and I'm relaxed about the continuous AF limitations of most mirrorless cameras. IQ is plenty good enough for my needs and best of all the E-M1 plus the 14-42 "body cap" fits in one, admittedly capacious, pocket while the 12-40 and 7-14 lenses fill another similar pocket. The result is that instead of sitting at home gathering dust my camera kit is now always with me gathering pocket fluff. :lol:

My solution may not be right for you but there are other mirrorless options out there. You can even stay "full-frame" with the new Sony A7/A7r but I'll sound one note of caution and that is that while the bodies of the new breed of Compact System Cameras may be small if you want low light performance or shallow depth of field then the lenses can't be similarly shrunk. Indeed they may even not be available or very expensive. For example a full-frame f/2 equivalent on m4/3rds would need to be f/1 for the same depth of field and there are precious few of those about!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:15 pm 

I have to admit your response seemed to be written in a 'foreign language' (ie it was Greek to me) I had not heard about the 4/3 camera. But I will definitely look into now. Thank you for pointing me in a new direction. I'll let you know where it leads me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 am 

It normally takes a few Ouzos before I become fluent in Greek. :lol:

For an overview of the current mirrorless market you could do worse than read some of the reviews linked to on Gordon's page Best mirrorless camera.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.