Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:10 am 
(I'm not a Republican BTW) Just feel that if you want not to be here then don't. So many people visit here and sign up as members everyday that one upset member (over something I think was silly :roll: ) is just one person. If there were/are more people that felt the same way they would/should have said something the first go round. But it is all over now and every body is happy now, and we now again have one more member.

8) :lol: 8) :lol:

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:14 am 
Zorro, thanks for welcoming me back. I saw your banner, and I liked it -- and I'm impressed that you would make it just for me.

Yes, my CRT flickers a bit, and that's an annoyance. I wasn't noticing it until I started to experiment with different refresh rates, and that made me realize that I had been seeing the flicker all along. Also, when I look at the side of the screen image, there is a slight waver to the edge which is very odd. Also, I get some moire patterns, which are common to CRTs.

The problem with higher resolutions is that the fonts just don't look right to me. For some reason, the fonts look better at 800 x 600, so that's the way I keep it. At this resolution, every element of every window is large enough to be seen comfortably, and that isn't so when I up the resolution.

I had forgotten that Nick was the one who had told me I was replaceable. The point that I was trying to get across before was that the problem was easily fixable, so there was no reason for anyone to be dissatisfied. And, of course, they did fix it, for which I am still grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:21 am 

Well the problem with making a page that can scale, is that you would have to make the pictures that people post scaling with the page. While that might be possible (i dont know?) it wouldnt be very effictive or stylish, and it would probably cause a lot of bugs too. If you want big nice pictures, u need a wide page unfortunatly.

That said the page is actually like 5 pixels too wide on my computer. Mozilla Firefox, 1280x1024

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:24 pm 
Hi all, Welllll,

How many years have you had the crt? I find on crt's that the text appears fuzzy, not as crisp/sharp, and you're eyes just get tired quicker. I'm running a 20" tft at 1680 x 1050. Not so common as most monitors ive seen are 22"'ers at that res. If I go from 1280 x 1024 to 1680 x 1050 I get a shock haha, but i ease back into it. If you go from using a 17" crt to a 20/22 inch tft under 1680 x 1050 you'll see how great it is viewing photos. I couldnt imagine resizing a photo thats original res is 3872 x 2592, at 800 x 600. I just love setting the view to 100% and looking at all the details. I then just crop what I want to see.

Its all about what you are used to.

What the web page looks like at my res;

and the forum;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi Caleb, I actually had you in mind when I made the changes!

Admitedly you were the only one who had a narrower display, but there were also many who had wider displays and missed the pages filling them.

So by popular demand we changed it back! You see, I am listening!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:41 am 
Yes, Gordon, and you don't know how it impresses me and pleases me that you are so responsive. When all aspects of your site are taken together -- reviews, designs, policies, openness, etc. -- yours is definitely the best of the camera-review sites.

If I got a little angry and bitter before, please forgive me. I don't like being made to feel expendable.

By the way, how do you like my new "avatar"? It looks a little evil, doesn't it? There's a story behind it which I'll post on the appropriate thread at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:52 am 
Site Admin

You're welcome Caleb, and I like the Avatar too - there's a thread about avatar origins in the off topic section...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 am 
Nick12984 has privately expressed some upset with me because I revived our little quarrel from February. I was hurt by what he said at the time, but I want everyone to know that we have patched things up and nothing more will be said about it (by me) after this comment.