Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:51 am 

Can some one loan Gordon a 70-200G to review. I'd love to see him put it through it's paces and create a YouTube video clip.

And now that Sony has announced the CZ 24-70 f/2.8 SSM lens...hopefully we'll see this lens reviewed too in the Spring. Which is when it's supposed to debut for $1750 USD. Not cheap. Typical of CZ glass but comparable to Nikon's recently released 24-70 f/2.8 announced along with the D3/D300.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 am 
Site Admin

I'd like to too! Maybe I'll get hold of one when the new bodies become available...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:54 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
I'd like to too! Maybe I'll get hold of one when the new bodies become available...

I hope so too. :) But I would love to see either of the two lenses tested on an A700 body. Though the new A300/A350 borrows the same in-camera AF motor from the A700. So I guess it wouldn't matter in the end.

Keep up the great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:21 pm 

There's going to be an update of the 70-200G soon, so maybe Gordon should wait a little longer with a review.

Nice lens, I'd love to have it.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:34 pm 

Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
There's going to be an update of the 70-200G soon, so maybe Gordon should wait a little longer with a review.

Nice lens, I'd love to have it.

- Bjorn -

They're going to update the current 70-200G (Minolta) f/2.8? Or are you talking about the rumorefd CZ 70-200 f/2.8 SSM lens.

Have you had any experience with G series SSM lenses? I wonder if they are a lot quieter and if they are as fast AF as the in-camera AF motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:58 pm 

I believe the current Sony 70-200G SSM is going to be updated. There's going to be a new version which is optimised for digital cameras (probably APS-C). At least, that's what I've read on other forums.

I don't have any experience with G nor SSM lenses. But I'm sure the AF will be much faster and quieter too than the AF-motor in the camera.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:54 pm 

I believe the current Sony 70-200G SSM is going to be updated. There's going to be a new version which is optimised for digital cameras (probably APS-C). At least, that's what I've read on other forums.

I don't have any experience with G nor SSM lenses. But I'm sure the AF will be much faster and quieter too than the AF-motor in the camera.

- Bjorn -

You could buy a 70-200G lens to find out for sure. :)

SSM comes with all G series lenses and a few upcoming CZ lenses like the 24-70 f/2.8. Due out in the Spring. And the 70-300 CZ SSM lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:20 pm 

DarkDTSHD wrote:

I wish I could afford such a lens :( . I think I'd rather go for the 100-300 F4 from Sigma, because it has longer reach, constant aperture and it's not as expensive as a G SSM lens. The teleconver for that lens is also not too expensive.
I do plan on renting the 70-200 G SSM for a day or so some time.

DarkDTSHD wrote:
SSM comes with all G series lenses and a few upcoming CZ lenses like the 24-70 f/2.8. Due out in the Spring. And the 70-300 CZ SSM lens.

The 70-300 G SSM is not from Carl Zeiss, nice lens though. To bad the aperture is not constant, otherwise I might buy it sometime. The 24-70 F2.8 is a very cool lens of course, but ridiculously expensive too. Maybe I should rent it :D .

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:56 pm 

DarkDTSHD wrote:

I wish I could afford such a lens :( . I think I'd rather go for the 100-300 F4 from Sigma, because it has longer reach, constant aperture and it's not as expensive as a G SSM lens. The teleconver for that lens is also not too expensive.
I do plan on renting the 70-200 G SSM for a day or so some time.

DarkDTSHD wrote:

The 70-300 G SSM is not from Carl Zeiss, nice lens though. To bad the aperture is not constant, otherwise I might buy it sometime. The 24-70 F2.8 is a very cool lens of course, but ridiculously expensive too. Maybe I should rent it :D .

- Bjorn -

Yes the 70-200G is a bit expensive. Much more than the Nikon or Canon eqivalents. Which I find ridiculous. I find the build quality on the Canon and Nikon lenses much better. Performance? Debateable but I think better than what's currently available from Sony.

The 70-300G is a CZ lens. But not the current 70-200G is a rebadged Minolta lens. Any how the 70-200 is expenssive as I said. As is the upcoming 24-70 CZ SSM lens at $1750 USD. But if I do go with an A700 I will be getting the 24-70 as my first lens. I find the noise from the camera when using DT or any non-G/SSM lens uber LOUD. Even if the torque from the motor is good.

Honestly, my other choice is the Nikon D300. Which way I'll go is up in the air. I prefer the Nikon system and the D300 ergonomics/features. But the A700 does do some things better (at least in lab tests...heh...which really doesn't mean much in the real world).

Hope you get your A700 soon. Lucky 16 year old. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:00 pm 

DarkDTSHD wrote:
The 70-300G is a CZ lens.

It's not CZ, only G and SSM. Just search for 70-300 G SSM in google, there's nothing about CZ. There's also no CZ-logo on the lens:

DarkDTSHD wrote:
But if I do go with an A700 I will be getting the 24-70 as my first lens.

As my signature says, I'm going for the CZ 16-80. It's a good lens and not as expensive as the CZ 24-70 is going to be.

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Honestly, my other choice is the Nikon D300. Which way I'll go is up in the air. I prefer the Nikon system and the D300 ergonomics/features. But the A700 does do some things better (at least in lab tests...heh...which really doesn't mean much in the real world).

I like the in-camera stabilisation of the A700, and I am a Sony fan. Plus, the D300 is more expensive than the A700.

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Hope you get your A700 soon. Lucky 16 year old. :)

About 17 days, then I'm going to buy it, probably. It's indeed quite a camera for a 16 year old, but I have had to save for it for a long, long time.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:52 pm 

Thanks for the picture Bjorn.

I just checked my A700 brochure. And you're right. It isn't a CZ lens. I assumed it was for some odd reason. :)

Nut there is rumors of a CZ version coming out. Also a SSM f/2.8 lens. Along with a 14-24 f/2.8 SSM lens. Both will be very expensive. Hovering around the $1800.00 USD range I'm guessing.

One of the things I'm not crazy about the Sony Alpha DSLR range for. Costly lenses. More so than the Nikon and Canon equivalents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 pm 

All sound like intersting rumours, but too expensive for me :( . Sony's products are indeed more costly than rivals. But of course that's also because of the CZ optics.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:18 pm 

All sound like intersting rumours, but too expensive for me :( . Sony's products are indeed more costly than rivals. But of course that's also because of the CZ optics.

- Bjorn -

They're also expensive for the rest of us. No matter our ages or incomes. :)

Not sure if the optics in the CZ lenses justifies the asking price. I'd love to see a shootout. Sony's 70-200 vs CZ 70-200 vs. Nikon's vs. Canon's. Maybe Gordon will do this for us. Hint, hint.... :)