Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:56 pm 

In this post Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi guys, both dpreview and imaging resource block links to Cameralabs, so why not check out the offical Canon page here:

Canon EOS 450D / Rebel XSi

Huh? What do you mean by "block links"? What do they do? I am linking from my personal web site to imaging resource, no probs.

Quote:
In the meantime, are you guys excited or disappointed?

Neither really. Nothing to get you disappointed if you are first time DSLR camera buyer and nothing to be excited about if you already own 400D. I'm glad I did not wait with my purchase of 400D.

EDIT by forum Moderator: That last "quote" and reply related to a conversation in this thread relating to the 450D/Rebel XSi launch. I created this thread to split out the off-topic conversation so, unfortunately, the quote and reply have got a bit "orphaned". Bob Andersson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:16 am 

csnaus wrote:
...Huh? What do you mean by "block links"? What do they do? I am linking from my personal web site to imaging resource, no probs.

It means that when a forum member on one of those sites makes a post which includes a link to www.cameralabs.com that link is automatically removed by software - in other words it is censored. Obviously the site webmasters don't create content which links to us either.

CameraLabs doesn't do this but, personally, I try very hard not to link to those sites because I feel to do so is to trespass on Gordon's hospitality here. You will have seen that we have no problem with linking to external sites in general, as long as there is no sense that forum members are trying to promote their own financial interests by doing so.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:58 am 

Somebody would be so cheesy as to block our Gordon, and this good place? Hmmmmm. That just doesn't seem right, somehow...
The best places on earth ARE the best places because of diversity, and shared knowledge. They must feel threatened by the excellence here.
Must be too hard for them to compete with the best... :twisted:
Too bad for them.

I get a kick out of visiting all of your personal web sites, if you haven't checked out Defiances Trains, you are missing something...and go and look at the "bugs" I think in the macro section..Houtmeyers Peter, is the photographer you are looking for, for bugs..The talent that "lives" here is phenomenal. Wandering around this site, is like having a world library at your fingertips..thanks to Gordon, and the Avatars and Moderators, who invest their time, and expertise... Why any moron would block this site is, beyond me. :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

my only regret is that it took me awhile to find you here.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:49 am 

Bob Andersson wrote:
It means that when a forum member on one of those sites makes a post which includes a link to www.cameralabs.com that link is automatically removed by software - in other words it is censored. Obviously the site webmasters don't create content which links to us either.

Well, this is not happening to this post at imaging resource. I just registered there and as a matter of curiosity created this post. The link works fine. See below. Also URL to cameralabs in favourite sites and home site works perfectly.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this thread and starting something off topic. I will not do it again, promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:25 pm 

Hi csnaus,

If you do a search on the IR forum for "cameralabs" you will find a grand total of just 6 results and that the earliest entry to include the string www.cameralabs.com was on January 7th. this year and, apart from your post, that is the only thread I can find which includes our full URL. Indeed, there is only one other entry before that date which even includes the word CameraLabs and that was on September 20th 2006. :!:

Do a similar search for "dpreview" and the list of posts is almost endless (keep clicking the Search button on the bottom of the results page).

I am happy that Gordon has got it right when he states that "both dpreview and imaging resource block links to Cameralabs" and, as I stated earlier, I will continue to try not to link to them when they censor reciprocal links.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi, I'm glad to see a link in IR getting through, but I know they certainly used to block us, and that dpreview definitely does. I believe dcresource may as well, as the three of them work closely together and share many 'strategies'.

As to why they do it - well it's their choice. As Bob says, we don't censor links here, but I'd prefer not to promote these sites when they so blatantly block us in return. So when a news story comes out which we haven't covered yet, I'd prefer if people linked to the actual company site. After all, these other sites rarely add editorial value to news and tend to just publish the press release - so you may as well get it from the horse's mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:14 am 
Wow, I had no idea. I find it really pathetic for a site (especially an informational/review site) to censor out links to another review website. The Internet is an always has been about information distribution to its' users and I don't quite understand what they think they're gaining by doing this? I can understand that they want people to read their reviews above others but when I'm looking for opinions on a camera I would want to read *all* the reviews possible, not just the ones from a single site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:57 am 
Well look at it this way, you wouldn't see advertisement for ford in a holden dealership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:33 pm 
marzy wrote:
Well look at it this way, you wouldn't see advertisement for ford in a holden dealership.

That's true but I think what they're doing is closer to banning people from speaking of Fords in a Holden dealership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:40 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
That's true but I think what they're doing is closer to banning people from speaking of Fords in a Holden dealership.

yes but ummmm ahhhh, ooo I agree with you but I don't hmm,

Ok I walked off and got a drink, ok I decided I agree with you, because in away you are advertising but then your not because the forums are designed to be a way to communicate about the topic (in this case photography) and it would just like be chatting about the competition I dunno lol, I think it is just stupid, they are meant to be support the community by giving them as much information as possible not by cutting of ways of finding out there question. Hmm we should write Dp review as much as possible in the forum posts so then when people google dp review these forums come up lol. Only joking.

I Like these forums the best any ways because the other forums are homemade and hard to navigate these ones are running phpbb much better to use. Any ways less of my talking and I congratulate you if you got this far into my post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:16 am 
DPreview and Imaging Resource don't have the right attitude. We are all camera lovers, and we all want as much information as possible. For people to know about this site doesn't mean that those people won't read THEIR sites also.

I have an internet business, and I have on occasion promoted the sites of competitors that I thought my customers would like. Life isn't just about making money.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:56 am 
I know Bob said something to me in one of my first posts but I had know idea what he was talking about. And.. . . . . . now I do :lol: 8)

The only thing I like about DPreview is that you can compare cameras side-by-side, and see the pros and cons. other then that I don't go there.

Gordon, would you be able to set something up like that??
lets say to compare a canon eos 450d with the Nikon 2020 AF on the same page?

I think it would help make the site a "one stop help & shop"

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:28 am 
Site Admin

Hi Nick, that would require a product database, and believe it or not, we currently do all our pages manually. So it's not possible today, but could be in the future.

It's interesting what you say about being a one-stop shop though - that's what I originally wanted for Cameralabs, but in reality it's never possible - both due to the site's own resources and fact there's always worthwhile content elsewhere.

Like you guys, I regularly read other sites and reviews to build up a bigger picture, and there's some great material out there. It's just a shame some of the bigger (at the moment) sites take such an aggressive stand over their forum members discussing other publications. And I think it's important people know this sort of thing is happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:15 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Nick, that would require a product database, and believe it or not, we currently do all our pages manually.

For doing this manually, you sure have done it well.
I know you said in another post you said that you try to make a living from this. I think that the more options you give/have the more life "you" can live.

How big a server/data base would you need for something like that??
I know that HP and DELL make servers/data basses, I think they would start somewhere about $2000-$3500 for the smaller servers. I think it should be something to look into a little more, when you have the "free time". lol

Anyway you are doing a fine job setting up this site know matter what the "screen size" is or how "big" the banner is :roll: :roll: 8)

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:58 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Nick!

We do already run a database on our server - that's what drives the forum - but we haven't yet entered the camera specs into it, and more crucially, we don't yet use a CMS which could subsequently generate the pages.

But it is planned for some point in the future...