Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A quick hello
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 pm 
Hello to All,

My name is Ormina and I live in Fife, but am originally from Glasgow. I have been scanning the forum for a couple of weeks now and was very impressed by the contents.

I have been interested in photography for many years, but mainly in the point and shoot type.That all changed last may after we asked my now brother- in -law to take our wedding photo's. He had a "big" camera and seemed to know all the "jargon". His intentions were well meant.I do feel for him. The photo'd were a bit of a disaster. Never ask a family member to take important photo's the pressure is just to much :( :( :(

We do not have a decent shot of the day, most pictures are blurred. Thankfully other family members were on hand to take some snap shots, some of them being very good. I decided then that I would purchase the same camera and vowed to learn to use it to it's maximum potential "fuji S9600" I have since added the beautiful G9 to my collection. I nneded a smaller camera to carry around with me.

It soon became obvious that I needed a little more than determination to take good pictures. I hope that by joining the forum I shall learn much more about the technical and visual side of photography. I am doing a home study course but I believe the input you recieve from the forum is a great advantage. I look forward to posting/learning/enjoying others photo's and in general enjoying what the forum has to offer.

Cheers Ormina

Last edited by ormina on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ormina, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Wedding photography can certainly be a stressful job for a non-pro, especially if they're related or a friend. At least as you say, lots of other people take photos at a wedding, so there's always a good chance of getting some decent shots!

There's loads of advice on these boards about photography, but do also check out our new sister site, www.dslrtips.com which has video workshops on a number of techniques - it's targetted at DSLRs, but the techniques also work with most decent compacts.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 pm 

Hi Ormina,

We're starting to build up a few Scottish peeps in here. Its a great site and im sure you will enjoy all this tips and fun as much as i am :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:30 pm 
Thanks Gordon, Orson,

I hope to be posting soon. The first post is always the most trepid!

I have had an interesting weekend photography wise. Firstly I was invited into the grounds of East Fife football grounds to take some shots of the action. As I am doing a photography course I have to submit various photo's action being one of them. Also buildings and or structure, this could mean the football stands. East Fife did score three goals on the day, sadly I did not manage to capture any of those shots. I did however manage to take a few action shots and also a couple of fun ones of the official photographer "on duty"

We also went to a dog agility class and spent a couple of hours shooting pictures of the dogs. It was a delighful afternoon though somewhat cold. Next time we visit I shall take a ground sheet and get down to a better level to get a different angle on the dogs jumping

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:42 pm 

Hi Orima,

Makes me wish I could leave California and set up in Scotland. I hope that you will post some of the dog agility photos, that is something I love, too..mostly we use our dogs for moving cattle out of the hills..and the agility deal has always been something I admire..

It is good to be new, I am new, too. Because around here, they learn ya how to do it right..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:47 pm 
Hi Patti,

I shall post some of the agility pics in the next couple of days. They are not great, but I am a beginner. It was indeed a lovely day.

I have a very good friend that lives in Templeton California 8) 8) She has been to visit me three times. It's my turn next.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:02 pm 

OH, Girl, I am not far from there, about a 4 hour drive, not to worry, I am a beginner too, and I am tellin ya, stick by these guys, they don't even care if you ask a question they have answered before, they manage to make ya not feel like a jerk, and break it down so you get it.

My advice is to get over here while the dollar is still down...and in the mean time, I will wait for pictures of the pups.

patti