Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon T2i or Nikon D3100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 am 
Greetings everyone,
I just joined the forum and wondered if anyone here might help me resolve my personal dilemma. I'm a graphics designer with some basic experience in photography. I just want to go back and take photography more seriously so I'm going to buy a new camera to suit my needs.
First of all let me clarify that I'm not looking to turn this into a senseless discussion about which one is better, I just want some honest and sincere advice as to which camera should I buy.
I've spent hours reading reviews and articles about both cameras and they both pack pros and cons. According to amazon.com, both of them fit my price range so the decision goes to which one fits my needs.
Let me point out that although HD is a welcome addition to the pack, it is not a deciding factor.

Please, let me hear your thoughts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:35 am 
Both are great cameras. I choose the 550D 6 months ago mainly because of the input jack for an external mic with a view to video but I havent used the video options at all as yet.

I dont know the Nikon so can only comment from the Canon perspective.

Have a look at magic lantern for adding extra functionality to the 550D. Using magic lantern my 550D has a built in intervelometer (for timelapse), automated exposure bracketing for HDR, mirror lock up when ever a timer is used and a useful 'remote' using the sensor above the led screen that saves having to carry/buy something for reducing camera shake on long exposures.

The other thing I would take into consideration is what equipment do other photographers have around you. I know more folks with Canon than with Nikon and this has already proved useful when it comes to sharing gear. I've borrowed lenses, lent lenses out and pooled flash units and that's just in 6 months!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:39 pm 
Hello ian,
thanks for sharing your comments. I'll keep them in mind. Now that you mention HDR bracketing, I know the nikon does not include this function so it is obviously a plus for the canon...