Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tests / feedback
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:38 pm 
Hi there,
Khol from sweden here.

First i must say that your tests is very good and easy to understand. The videos are superb and you get a quick and easy overview of each product that way.

However, if i might contribute with som feedback, for me it it very important that my camera to be is a fast camera and that the lens that either is bundled (DSLR) or mounted (compacts) have good quality in dusk or semidark indoor environments.

I have a camera today that is practically impossible to use indoors. It cant find focus and it takes very long time for it to take a picture, and very rarelly with correct focus.

So for me (and perhaps for others as well), tests in such environment is appreciated.

Also, it would be really nice if there was a meassure of "from off to first picture taken with focus" time. I noticed that you had such a test in the Canon 40D video. And i must say, that camera was pretty darn quick...

So, to conclude my wishes: Test in dull, dark, indoor, dusk environments and a timetest where time is meassured from an off-state to the first picture taken whith autofocus enabled.

Thanks for this webpage (cameralabs.com) and this forum.
The world of cameras is difficult, and all help from pro's are most welcome.

Regards,
Khol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Khol, welcome to the Cameralabs forums, and thanks for your comments.

Time to first shot is important as is AF performance under low light and we'll try to include details on both in future reviews, although the latter is a combination of a particular body and lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:54 pm 
Hi Gordon, and thanks for you answer.

I will browse my way around this site and try to find a few good tips and trix. I'm pretty confident that this is the site for me. Your tests is really good and useful. And that in conjunction whit this forum is just superb.

I have an "old" konica minolta Z5 at he moment. Outdoors, yes. Very nice pictures, but indoors under low light conditions.... no, its a really bad camera for that.

I have fallen for the Canon 40D with a bundled 17-85 lens and batterygrip. Not sure tho what lens it is. The only info i have is that it is a 17-85 lens.

However. Even tho it seems to be a very nice camera, the price is very high. So i was thinking of an A100 with two lenses (18-70 and 75-300) for half the price. or maybe Olympus E510 + 14-42 / 40-150.

The last two is about half the price of the 40D, and i get two lenses. Maybe they are good to start with, i dont know.

Will have to check out some more tests and user reviews.

Thanks,
Khol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Khol, they're all good packages you've mentioned and we have reviews of almost all of them.

The Canon 17-85mm is compared to other general purpose Canon zooms here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/Cano ... s_upgrade/

The Sony 18-70mm here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/SonyA100/page4.shtml

The Sony 75-300mm here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony75300mm/

The Olympus 14-42mm here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... age4.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:03 pm 
Thanks Gordon,
Appreciate all help i've received from you and your webpage. Your video-tours are really really good. Keep up the good work !

I can now tell you that i bought a Canon EOS 40-D today with a 17-85 lens. I know from several reviews that the lens have a few drawbacks, but i think it will do for me. And when it comes to C-Aberation and some non linear distortion, i can easilly fix that in photoshop if it is a critical picture.

I also bought a 4 GB memorycard (Sandisk Extreme III) and a UV-filter (for lens protection).

I figure that i will grow with this kit, and complement with other lenses in the future.

I will stay tuned on your site and forum, you can count on that.

So, now all i have to do is to find a webpage where all the cool phototecniques and such stuff is pedagogically explained. And ofcourse... take tons of pictures and really learn by misstakes.

Thanks

regards,
Khol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:11 pm 

Hi Khol,

Congratulations on buying a 40D. See you in the Canon forum. 8)

Quote:
...all i have to do is to find a webpage where all the cool phototecniques and such stuff is pedagogically explained...

Have you found our sister site DSLR Tips yet?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Khol, you want a website whih explains how to make the most of your camera? Try our new sister site, www.dslrtips.com !