Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: HDR section?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:24 am 
i thought maybe this would be a good idea.. to make a new HDR section like the landscape, macro sections ect. I personally think that this is a good idea because a few of our members on here use HDR and im new to it as well. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:09 am 
Site Admin

I love HDR, but it is a technique like many others which can be applied to, say, landscape, macro etc... so if we had an HDR section, we'd also need sections for lots of other photographic techniques... So for now, unless theres demand for it, we'll stick to showing HDR examples in relevant sections, and discussing the actual technique itself in the Imaging Software section...

Post subject: HDR?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:19 am 
I think the rule in writing is Never Assume. Spell out your acronym at least the first time you use it such as Information Technology IT.
Okay I give up what is HDR? No doubt there is a simple plain as my nose on face answer but gee, come on, spell it out the first time one uses it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi River Rat, it stands for High Dynamic Range and there's a great tutorial about it here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1961

Post subject: HDR Demo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:41 am 
Thanks Gordon, I would never have guessed it! Let's see if I understand, the software let's one layer three different shots with the same depth of field. The three different shutter speeds result in different light exposures, if the aperture had changed to vary the light the depth of field would have changed and we do not want that. So the software the layers ala photoshop the three shots all together in one. The result is heightened contrast as in China Mark's BW photo of the house and clouds. I gather the name comes from an extended dynamic range of light which allows more 'fiddling' with the outcome.

Okay, is this possible in photoshop elements or doe one need another program? I am just hypothesizing here so do not hesitate to correct me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi River Rat, you got it! It basically lets you preseve detail that would otherwise be lost in bright highlights and dark shadows on a single exposure.

I don't know if Elements can do it, but the program everyone seems to use is Photomatix, as described in Mark's tutorial...