Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hi from Venezuela!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:23 pm 
Hello, my name is Debora and recently got my first DSLR, a Nikon D7000. I have been wanting to get into photography for a long time and never did, but I couldn't hold it anymore and well, finally went with Nikon. My other camera option was a D5100 but after reading all the great things about the D7000 I went with that one. I got it with the kit lens (18-105mm), and then purchased the 18-200mm, 50mm 1.4G and the 35mm 1.8 lenses. I also got the sb400 flash. I am mostly interested in portraits, since I have two daughters (well almost, one is four and the other one should arrive in eigth weeks :) ). I would love to hear any advices on what else to get and your opinion about the lenses I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 am 

Welcome to the forum, Debbie.

You certainly haven't held back with the equipment. I'm sure you'll enjoy the D7000, and the 50 f1.4 and 35 f1.8 will be good portrait lenses for you.

Personally I wouldn't have gone for the 18-200 and SB-400. Maybe a better off camera flash would be more useful, but only you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:36 pm 
Thank you for answering dubaiphil (I guess it's Phil right?). I got the 18-200mm honestly because I think it's such a popular lens that I would like to have "just in case". About the flash, I wanted something light and small, I guess I'll just try it and if I need something more I'll get something better.
BTW, I was looking at the portrait and street photography forum since that's what I'm interested in mostly, and absolutely fell in love with your pictures! I liked especially the black and white ones. What do you use for post-processing? That's a whole another world for me to learn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 am 

Thanks Debbie (you're right, it is Phil!)

A lot of people swear by the 18-200mm for travel and as a general purpose lens. When I started out with a D90 I had the 18-105 and loved it - very versatile and took some great shots.

Just watch out with the flash with your new arrival - that's where the high ISO capability of the D7000 and light gathering of the fast primes will come in useful, rather than hitting your new daughter with flash light.

If I could advise one thing, it's to just keep practising and learning. There are lots of invaluable forums on the web (some friendly, some not so, but this is a good one).

One other good learning tool is to download iEXIF (from Opanda, I think). This software installs on your PC and then you can right click on photos posted on the web to find out all sorts of details (like Camera, shutter speed, ISO, aperture etc etc). It works for the majority of shots posted and is an easy way of finding out what settings the photographer used to create certain effects.

Thanks for the comments on the street and portrait shots. I started off by taking shots of architecture, as there are lots of modern examples in Dubai. From there I tried nightscapes as the buildings are nicely lit up at night. From there I started to explore Neutral Density filters to create the same long shutter effect as night shots but by day. All the way through I was getting feedback that the shots were OK but there were never any people in them! That's why I'm pushing myself more into street and envorinmental portraits at the moment. It's been a winding road that sure to continue. I'm using Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro for the B&W conversions and it's easy and excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:45 pm 
Thank you for your feedback and great advice Phil!