Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:31 pm 

Better update my signature. Now the owner of a D80 & 18-200 VR.

Many thanks to Gordon for excellent in depth reviews. The DX Kit test was pivotal - I could compare not just quality but size and weight with all the main kit alternatives. So although I never saw a 18-200 until it arrived today, I could see it was not a monster.

The comments on the viewfinder for the D80 made me look at one as a bright clear view was always a problem with my old SLR. Once I saw that I was sold.

I have only had these for a few hours and just been playing around in teh house but gut reactions are:-

18-200 VR is really not that big considering its range. Now its in one package, I will be using extended focal range I never did before when I had to change lenses and the VR makes it practical.

The overall weight balance is good for this pairing - its back to using two hands without a doubt and if both could be lighter it would be nice, but the weight is not a problem. I tried a EOS400 with the Canon IS lens and that was really lens heavy - not a good feel.

The VR appears to be impressive.

I do like the top LCD display - much more the feel of a "real" camera and a bonus I think is not mentioned in the reviews is that you must extend battery life not having to use the TFT so often.

Thanks also to Thomas & Phil for contributions too.

Off on holiday in a week - it will be interesting to see how I get on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:38 pm 

Congrats on this phantastic set of gear! :wink:
Hope you have enough memory to store all your shots. Just remember you need SDHC if you buy 4GB or 8GB of SD-cards for your Nikon D80! The best deal for 8GB SDHC class 6 is at 75EUR (incl. 19% tax).
So be well prepared for your holiday and have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Nick, I second that - congrats on your purchase and make sure you keep us updated with how you get on!

Gordon