Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Filters
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:35 am 
Hi All

Would like to buy a screw-in filter to protect the lenses of my E510 SLR. Should I get plain glass, UV, polarizing, or something else. I would like an all-purpose type filter so that I can leave it on all the time. Suggestions?

Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:01 am 
One that you should get and can leave on all the time is a UV filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:07 pm 
Thanks, will get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:08 pm 
This is not really possible except with regards to a clear UV and not the Skylight UV filter as this has a slight colour tint to it that would otherwise need to be compensated for.

Filters have a purpose so the standard filters for any photography will be a clear UV filter that can be left on as a lens protector (but include the hood too), a polarisation filter and a neutral density (0.6, the most common choice) filter. These are the screw-in versions I would recommend for starters. The more long-tern cost effective and flexible system is the slop-in system.

Also be aware that the filter mounts come in standard and slim format. Standard mounts can be stacked (as that have a thread) but no more than three stacked at most or vignetting will occur. For a ultra-wide angle lens a slim mount is necessary or you will get vignetting.

Most beginners start off with the screw-in version and then migrate to the slot-in system.

One make to consider is B+W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:39 pm 
what effect do you get when you stack filters? what filters would you stack? colour+UV+polarizing? I know of another filter that "crosses" lights aswell.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:09 am 
ND grad = neutral density graduated filters.

Say a strong hard ND (0.9) grad above the horizon (sky) of a landscape shot but only a weak one (0.1) below the horizonal and into ground itself.

There's many combinations you can use, ND grad or not, but the rule is to stack no more than 2 at most of the screw-in type but for the slot-in system this is fine and you can go even up to 4.

So you would position the hard ND grad (0.9) above the horizon and then stack the weak ND grad (0.1) positioned below what the ND grad (0.9) is not covering.