Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Greetings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 pm 
Just wanted to send out a quick greeting, new guy here. Just picked up my first DSLR (Canon T2i/550D w/kit lens) and I've been pouring over reviews and forums across the web and found Camera Labs to be very helpful.

So far I've picked up a Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (Nifty Fifty) and I'm working on replacing the 18-55 kit lens with a higher quality zoom as well. Leaning towards a EF-S 15-85mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM right now. Just read the review here at Camera Labs and I think it is the standard zoom lens for me.

Looking forward to learning and sharing a lot on this forum.

Cheers!

Last edited by Rudboy66 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:19 pm 

Welcome Rudboy66! 8)
Congrats on your t2i - can't wait to see some of your photos!

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:41 pm 
Thanks, and I'll be sure to share some shots when I become more proficient with my gear and photography in general. The learning curve sure is a lot better than way back when I first dabbled in photography. At that time I had a film SLR which meant you had to spend a lot of money practicing and with no internet there was a LOT less information available.

Onward. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:57 am 

Welcome to the Camera Labs forum! You've made a great choice with a 50mm, it was my favourite lens for a long time (until I got a 35mm f/1.4).

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:50 pm 
Interesting, a 35mm. I spend a lot of time looking at possible routes to take on lenses, and I pondered if a 35mm might be more appropriate for a 1.6 FOVCF camera body. Do you use a full frame or 1.6 camera for your 35mm, and do you like the 35mm focal length better overall than the 50mm length?

I already have a certain affinity for prime lenses, I find it very easy to get the framing I want by moving in closer or further from my subject. I do intend to get a walk around zoom, but I can see picking up a high end prime for low light and general stuff. A 50mm/35mm comparison may be in order someday. I love the fact that you can rent almost any Canon lens for a reasonable cost, I'll be taking advantage of that service at some point.

So anyway, your thoughts on 35mm vs 50mm would be of interest.