Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: why hello Thar!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:58 am 
I am new here, obviously. I am 27 and living in Ohio.

I have three Siberian Huskies that are my life.

I had my Nikon D80 stolen from me about a year ago along with the laptop that contained all of my photos. Photography is a hobby I have always wanted to get in to and I think it was going well until my house was broken in to and my camera was stolen from me.

I am expecting a Christmas bonus here soon and really want to get another camera. My budget is tiny but I would like to come close to what I had with my D80.

The kit I purchased had a nikkor 18-55mm vr lens and 55-200mm vr lens.

I was looking at B&h's used store and found a refurb d3000 and both refurb lenses for $529. Considering its a reputable seller I dont mind buying refurbished items But I am unsure how the d3000 will stack up to my D80. I know it wont be 100% similar but I am looking for something with at least 90% of the capability of the D80 to get back on track with my learning.

My budget is $550 I know its low but thats what I have to work with. Am I askin for too much with such a low budget or am I at least in the ballpark?

And for a smile, I give you this picture

You advice is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:12 am 
Hello fUmUnDaChZ

Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear you got robbed.

I'm still new here my self so I'm not that clued up in terms of comparison but I noticed there is a Review for each camera you mentioned on this site.

Nikon D3000
Nikon D80

Might be a good idea to check them, I'm sure the d3000 would be a big improvement over the D80.
also look into a separate body and lens to see if you can shave off a few dollars

I love the doggy comic btw, It's ace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:51 am 
I have been looking at the reviews but I still not too sure if I am heading in the right direction.

Glad you like the comic, it put a smile on my face so I figured I'd share it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:31 am 
I know it always seems so over whelming looking at review and comparisons but I've found from experience the more you look at, the clearer it gets. This includes other kit of similar spec and both ends of the scale.

I'm not trying to act like a moderator but noticed you posted a dedicated thread the Nikon forum so in-case others didn't notice here is the OP's thread

Camera Labs forum - Nikon - D3000 vs D80 by fUmUnDaChZ