Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unanswered posts
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:58 pm 
I have just spent an hour or so trawling through the unanswered post section of the board. There are 29 pages of pics people want reviewed, questions they want answers to and other assorted comments. In total over 1,500 posts totally ignored! How is it that so many posts from members are competely ignored when some threads have pages and pages of comments and replies?
I have come to the sad conclusion that this forum is a little bit too cliquey. About a dozen or so regular contributors seem to delight in having what amounts to personal conversations on the board about all sorts of photography related topics while ignoring posts from members who are new or not frequent posters.
So come on guys and gals, lets share the accumulated experience available on this site with a wider selection of its members and not restrict ourselves to responding to people we know. Its a good board but could be a lot better if it was opened up a bit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:43 am 
Hi Dave16,

it's not at all a bad idea to call this out - perhaps more will look for unanswered posts and reply to them.

But it should perhaps be held up against how many answered posts there are for the same time-span. I think we probably have quite a high percentage of posts that are answered and many that are answered/responded to by more than one poster.

But thanks for reminding me/us - I will go look for unanswered posts myself now :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Dave, what sections are these posts in, and over what period? I suspect some may be quite old.

I'd also ask that anyone posting a question gives it a sensible title and not 'what do you think of this'. Be specific about models or the subject matter and you'll get a better response. Also post in the correct section. And finally, search to see if someone's already asked it before and had it answered.

A lot of new posts I come across are repeats of old ones, or in the wrong section, or badly titled, and all of that contributes to them not always being answered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:47 am 
Sorry I did not take note of what sections the posts were in but I think they cover just about every section on the board. And yes many of them are very old but I am concerned that if people post a question or ask for a critical response to some photos and don't get any response they may not bother with returning to the board in future and we lose potential members.
I don't personally respond any more to the "what camera should I get?" type of question, firstly because the question is impossible to answer without knowing full details of the intended usage and it betrays a certain laziness on the part of the poster for not researching the topic beforehand. Many questions are valid though and deserving of a considered response.
I suggest that all experienced board members take the trouble to look at the unanswered posts section periodically and if they can only answer 5 questions, in a short space of time there won't be 29 pages of posts with no reply but only about 2 or 3.
I am not trying to stir anything up here, just trying to make the board better for everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:26 am 

Dave - interesting comments. I have been a member of several forums online over the last 18 months since buying a DSLR and can see a general apathy taking hold over the last few months. Responses are lower in general to posts and that's not limited to Cameralabs.

I think you forget one key thing though - a lot of people may not be as comfortable as yourself in giving detailed critiques.

I for one am not comfortable in critiquing photos but am learning.

I think that this forum more than has its rightful place online though, and is far and away the friendliest forum I have come across. I wouldn't call it cliquey though - as with all forums there are people who post more regularly and give feedback amongst themselves and I think this is what you have been witnessing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:34 pm 
I've been on all sorts of forums over the years and i must say cameralabs is by far the most welcoming and friendly i've come across,... however that being said i have noticed several posts (most often asking for c&c) in the "specific" sections of the forum that occasionally slip through the net and go unanswered.

But i do believe this is more a case of bad timing than bad attitude and as Gordon said... how you word your post or question .... affects how or whether its answered.

As for the forum being "cliquey".... well i dont agree with that. As with any forum there is a "core" of people that have been around since the inception and they obviously have a strong bond and communicate much better with each other than us newbies.

All this being said if i have one "gripe" or complaint it is that some users tend to be FAR TOO BLUNT when giving c&c ..... especially towards new forum users or new photographers. Next time any of us comment on a picture or post, just take 2 seconds to read through what we have written and ask ourselves if we would have liked to hear such comments or critique when we were beginners. Tough love is not always the best policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:59 am 
If I may say my opinion, because another member has questioned this problem (not my choice of words).
I did notice some post un-answered, and this does happen mostly during holidays (especially summer)... we all agree CAMERA LABS has more and more members... what about modo's. I would like to agree to whomever said about specific titles.

I try to post comments, but I need more knowledge and experience to do so.
When you admire a photo or painting, you need to look at it and try to feel and understand what the person is trying to make us feel... and thn make remarks or opinion. that equals time... let's remember this forum is free thanks to many modos and great passionated photographers that give their time to comment.

Some discussion or questions have been answered already in the past... it's easy to post a question, so is searching on the forum.

Bottom line... I would like to thank all the modos and members that give their time and effort to this forum, that's the reason why I'm still here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

EDIT: Post removed.

(Eagle, I removed yours too as it was a reply to the removed post, so no longer required - thanks)