Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:27 pm 

Hi,

I'm Joris Van den Berghe. Born in 1991. Live in a small town in Flanders (Dutchspeaking, northern part of Belgium, Europe).

I have been interested in aviation for as long as I can remember (even have an picture when I was like 8 years old, with some sort of cheap toy flying goggles, with a joystick in my hands). 'Played' Flight Simulator for a long time. Stopped after moving to a MacBook Pro 13"...I actually regret having spent all the money on it, if I'd have saved it I could probably another lens of it...

I got into photography in July 2008 when I bought my DSLR, a Sony A350 with the 18-70 and 55-200 kitlenses.

I still have a Cosina 100-400 (licence-made Vivitar, actually) which I used for my spotting (which I started soon after taking up photography). The AF failed to operate properly in June last year. Had a bit of money to spend of my holiday job which I did in July so I spent my money even before I actually earned it; I bought my first quality lens. The 70-400G SSM. At the moment I have taken an insurance for it and it's treated like a baby (probably even better). All my gear is carried in a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW which I bought in August.

I have been looking at the Sony Carl Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 SSM and remain probably the only individual on this planet (except for the chaps at SLRgear.com and Photozone.de :lol:) who has ever doubted if it is sharp (at 70mm and f/2.8, that is...).

It is intended as kitlens replacement (albeit a very expensive one, I know...and the 28-75 f/2.8 is not my cup of tea since 28mm is too narrow for me). Only problem: dad. He still thinks it's a bad idea - "you are a planespotter, you don't need any wide-angle or fast glass!". Actually I do, for the ground shots when I'm not using the telephoto lens. I totally fell in love with it (the lens, that is...I love my other beautiful piece of glass as well) after seeing Bjorn's magnificent unpacking video...

Another thing on my wishlist is the A700 replacement (of which a mock-up was shown during PMA 2010). The A350's autofocus isn't as fast as the A7xx (I guess it's going to be an A750...perhaps the same sort of line-up as the A450/500/550: an A650, A730 and A750) and for airshows the faster burst mode, heavier weight (to balance the 70-400), better grip and bigger viewfinder are advantages...

I shoot for two aviation websites:
- Flightlevel.be is a Belgian, Dutchspeaking aviation website. I also write an article from time to time (being a college/university student doesn't give me that much free time). I covered the Flying Legends Air Show 2009 for this website, this year I'm doing it again.

- Aeropedia.be was formerly known as Warbirds.be and Combirds.be (military and civil aviation section respectively), also a Belgian, Dutchspeaking website.

You can find my photos here:

www.flickr.com/photos/vdbj/

Bjorn, it's thanks to you I ended up here :wink: (I know him from the Fotomateforum).

My photos on Flickr...

Last edited by Joris Van den Berghe on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:53 pm 

Well, it took some stimulation, but I'd say just judging the length of this intro we got more than bargained for! :D

Welcome to cameralabs, and dare I say a friend of Bjorn is a friend of mine? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:21 pm 

Welcome Joris, nice to have you here!
I actually think this is the longest intro we've ever got :)

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:46 pm 

Long intro indeed...

:lol:

Welcome Joris to the Camera Labs forum! Great to have you join us here!

Now just go out and get that 24-70mm Zeiss. Don't worry about sharpness, it performs just wonderfully!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Joris !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:32 pm 

Thanks guys!
victor wrote:
Welcome Joris, nice to have you here!
I actually think this is the longest intro we've ever got :)

Well, someone's got to be the first one...:lol:

Bjorn, I will *probably* (read: hopefully :roll:) pick it up somewhere during the first week of the Eastern holiday. Still wonder why those two sites say it's not that good at 70mm and wide-open, though...

My photos on Flickr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:10 pm 

If you're that concerned about some very mild lack of corner sharpness, just stop down to f/5.6. You really shouldn't be worried about the 24-70mm's corner IQ, especially not on an APS-C camera.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:15 pm 

If you guys need to worry about something regarding that lens, worry about the bokeh, not the sharpness. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:23 pm 

If you'd like to know/wonder what I'm talking about, check this page and put the focal length slider to 70mm and at f/2.8. Very odd...three blur units...if it were two, ok, but nearly three in the center :? ?!

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zproduct ... loader.htm

But I guess I'll get it anyway...my opinion on the 'bad' reviews ? Sample variation, I guess.

My photos on Flickr...

Last edited by Joris Van den Berghe on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:29 pm 

Well, I slid those sliders around a bit, but when it still hadn't produced a photograph after 5 minutes I gave up and picked up my camera..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:44 pm 

That's the spirit Marijn, don't pixelpeep, shoot pictures!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:35 am 
Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
That's the spirit Marijn, don't pixelpeep, shoot pictures!

+1 I'm agree with that :wink:

Anyway Warm Welcome to Cameralabs Forum Joris! 8)