Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New camera on internet?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 pm 
Via cameralabs there is a link to www.gotoozoo. Incradible low price for a canon 500d total kit. Before delevering I have to send money to a person in a chinees bank.
Because this is a cameralab link, can I trust this link for money and quality?

Pls. give your experiance.

Regards, PaulPvW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 pm 

Sounds like a scam to me... On what page did you find the link?

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:50 pm 

Sounds like a scam indeed. Please post where/how you found that.

If you find electronics for a very low price, and have to transfer money to a foreign country, 9/10 it's a scam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:02 pm 

Hi Paul,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum.

My guess is that the link popped up from a third party server (Google maybe) which provides some of the advertising on this site. I'm merely a forum moderator, with nothing to do with the operation of the main CameraLabs site, so Gordon would have to confirm this. Google are very proactive about not advertising scam sites but sometimes they slip through when a company has just started up.

In this case the domain was registered on 20th January this year (source) and if, as you say, they are based in China and want you to send them money (rather than using a credit card) then I think the warning signs are massive. If you still think you'd like to deal with them maybe I could also sell you the Millennium Dome here in London? Yours for a cool €347,000. :twisted:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject: New camera on internet?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:19 pm 
Thank you all for a quick reaction.
The link is on Camera Labs Buyer's Guide "mid range D SLRs"
Thats why I tought mebe this is one site to be trusted.

That must be a concern for cameralabs.com.

Regards, PaulPvW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 pm 

The price links in the sidebar is powered by PriceGrabber.com, and if I am not mistaking they are just showing the lowest price no matter which website it comes from.

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

OK, there's two main ad systems on cameralabs:

Google and Pricegrabber. The Google ads normally occupy a square in the top right corner of many of our pages, and are always text links. The Pricegrabber ads are usually alongside a photo of the camera and show a number of shops with their logos. Also look at the bottom of the advert - it'll say google or pricegrabber, so you know the difference.

Google places ads based on your location, so what you see may be different to someone else. Unfortunately we have no control over the ads which google displays - this is the same for all sites which use google ads. So sometimes you may see an ad for a company which isn't as reputable as others. Once again, this affects every site which uses google ads, not just cameralabs.

So I think you are seeing this shop advertised on the google ad in the top right corner of the page.

Pricegrabber tries to work with reputable stores only, so the ones you see listed should be absolutely fine. And remember, for our most trusted stores, visit our partner stores page.

When shopping for a camera, I'd suggest checking its price at one of our partner stores first as this is the kind of price you should be paying from a reputable store. If you're seeing it advertised any cheaper, beware.

As the others have said, you can also check out a shop's reputation at www.resellerratings.com and see what others are saying about it. If the price looks too good, then please check them out before buying.

Gordon