Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:51 am 

Thanks Gordon. I had to refresh my browser cache, but there it isn't. :) Now to wait and see how the quoters react...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm 

Very funny :lol:
Been looking all day for the quote button and just found this thread.
All well and good but I've only quoted once or twice ever.
Copy and pasting is Ok but doesn't show the originators' ID. :evil:

John :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:31 am 
Seriously.... quoting might only add less than 10Kb to loading a page.

THIS is excessive quoting: http://www.gmodsauce.com/smf/index.php?topic=493.240

I hate this mentality.

Punish all just because some people don't trim their quotes.

Same mentality that has driven the western world into a nanny state. May as well call me a terrorist if I quote something because: hey!, some people might have a heart attack caused by the effort of turning that mighty scroll wheel.

:x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Agun, please remember some people have slow internet connections or low resolution screens. For these people, excessive quoting can be a real pain. It can also quickly render threads messy and difficult to read. Not being able to quote is hardly a punishment! I've never once felt the need to click the quote button in my entire time running this forum.

Anyway, it's just for a trial period. Your complaint has been noted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:49 pm 

Quoting is not about bandwidth, it's about screen real-estate and keeping threads clean. Quoting the last reply is unneccesary, to say the least...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:55 pm 
Many people do it because they are used to.

I use other big very active forums where some threads can get 10 responses in 1 minute.

Quoting the last post is needed because chances are someone is going to respond before you do rendering your unquoted post very confusing.

Bad manners i guess.... I'm just used to doing that and I bet many of us here are as well.

What we need is youtube's comment reply system. Someone go nick it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:51 pm 

agun wrote:
Same mentality that has driven the western world into a nanny state. May as well call me a terrorist if I quote something because: hey!, some people might have a heart attack caused by the effort of turning that mighty scroll wheel.

:?:

Hey, I just quoted! :)
Glad to see it's gone. Missed it the first time I got back here, but then guessed it'd been deleted. GREAT!

For those wondering how to quote with a username (as I did above), type quote="username" (between []) and end with /quote (between []), to get something like:

Code:
[quote="Bjorn van Sinttruije"]Glad to see it's gone. Missed it the first time I got back here, but then guessed it'd been deleted. GREAT! [/quote]

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:09 pm 
I just click the little lonely pixel. Just select the area... It reveals it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:15 am 

Why don't we enable the Multiquote feature, and encourage members to shorten the quoted post down to the relevant part, like the first line of it for instance, rather than the entire post?

Last edited by Canon 500D on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:18 am 
Site Admin

Careful Agun, or I'll make it disappear altogether!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:12 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Careful Agun, or I'll make it disappear altogether!

Testing testing 1 2 3. Oh I thought that quote thingy are gone forever :shock: but at least there is no button to get Easy direct to quoting :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 am 

I have a Quote button in Google Chrome but not in Firefox. :(

I didn't clear my Cache in Google Chrome. :P

Cameras: Canon EOS 450D with Battery Grip | Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10
Lenses: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Flash: Canon Speedlite 580EX II

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:24 pm 
Is that pixel still there? I'can't seem to find it :oops: Never quite used it, so not "missing" it anyway, but just curious. Is there anything "clickable" hiding anywhere still?
Anyway, looks like some people just love this quoting thing... so much so, that they quote themselves, right after their own comment. May be also to advertise that they "know" uber cool bbcode a little. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:18 pm 

R0Y.1 wrote:
Is that pixel still there? I'can't seem to find it Never quite used it, so not "missing" it anyway, but just curious. Is there anything "clickable" hiding anywhere still?

Nope, it was obviously a joke between Popo and Gordon :D

R0Y.1 wrote:
Anyway, looks like some people just love this quoting thing... so much so, that they quote themselves, right after their own comment.

Never ??? Who would dream of doing that

R0Y.1 wrote:
May be also to advertise that they "know" uber cool bbcode a little.

You'd never have guessed

I must admit though, quoting is a useful tool because if someone discusses several topics in a post, a reference may often be required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:27 am 
Well, if the reply is right after the post you are replying to, people who read your reply are expected to read the previous post as well, and it is honestly very difficult for me to imagine that most cameralabs members would not understand what you are talking about unless you quote so much. Most users here prefer a neat and clean thread - because it makes the reading more pleasant. I know there are a lot of really crowdy, noisy, messy forums out there, and I have been in many places as well. But this is a different kind of forum, and it is the feeling of most of the regular users that over-quoting has really been a nuisance in many many cases. Also, quoting may be regarded as impolite (just as is CAPS) as it may look like an indirect "throwing" of comment rather than face to face chit-chat. When you are replying to a much earlier comment, only then can quoting be justified. Even then, quoting the entire post is not necessary. These are just some etiquettes which we prefer over here. Nothing personal.

P.S.
I don't think the pixel thing was a joke, since agun seemed to find something out, and Gordon warned him to take it easy or...