Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:53 am 
My name is Josh and I'm in the Navy, currently deployed on a tropical island in the middle of nowhere. My job in the Navy is multi-media, from photography, journalism, graphic design, to videography. I prefer photography, though, and when on my ship I'm usually one of the photographers.

From my training in the Navy, I've used only Nikon for still photography, with D70's, D80, D100, D200, D300, sometimes D2X, some other random ones, though the one I've mainly used is the D300. Add in a wide variety of lenses(I enjoyed the fisheye for creativity).

Just found this website when I decided I wanted a camera for my own use and for when I get out of the military, whether it be soon or down the road. I've been using Nikon for my whole time as a photographer in the Navy, but trying to learn if Canon might be wiser, though I prefer Nikon right now.

Currently looking at the D90 or the D300s as possibilities. I'm wanting to get a kit set up, with a flash(Either a SB-600 or 800), battery extension(for vertical shots as well), and I'm thinking of going with the Nikkor 18-200mm lense. Still trying to decide if Canon is a wiser choice, a friend of mine swears by it.

I'll probably post questions later on, but definately going to read through the posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:50 am 
Hi Josh,

and a warm welcome to the forum!

That sure sounds like an interesting job you have. How did you manage to land that? Short of pulling the trigger on a broadside from the USS Missouri, I can't really think of any greater way to be in the Navy..lol.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board Josh! Sounds like an exciting job with lots of photo ops, and we'd love to see some around the ship if you're allowed - but don't get into trouble on our account!

PS - Don't forget you can support us by shopping for anything through our partner stores page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:34 am 
Hello Josh and welcome to CameraLabs. The friendliest place you'll ever find :)
Why don't you start, if you may, by posting some of your shots taken at that tropical island.
Cheers,
Rizwan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:59 pm 

Welcome Josh! :)

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:49 pm 
Thanks for the welcome. I was going to post some pictures up, but not sure how to do it here. Do I need to put them on a site, or is there a way to upload them?

I've gotten some of my photos for the Navy published through the Navy, and then I also have some of my own pictures that I have set aside for my own.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm 

Welcome Josh to the Camera Labs forum!

You can easily upload photos to www.tinypic.com. After the upload is complete, you'll have to copy the link with the -tags. Post that here on the forum and you're done!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:09 pm 
No luck there. Since I'm on this island, internet isn't the strongest compared with being in the States, so every time I try to load a picture on that site, it doesn't go through. Too bad I can't get facebook or myspace to load the picture by itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:12 pm 

Can you upload pictures to Facebook? Cause if you can, you could right-click the photo, go to properties, and copy the .jpg-link you'll find there, paste it here on CL (Camera Labs in case you hadn't read the two letters before), put a [img]-tag%20on%20the%20left%20and%20a[/img]-tag on the right, and you're done.
You might want to read Facebook's Terms though, they claim pretty much all possible rights when you upload a photo.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:52 am 
I took these in DC back in April with a D300.

Took this one day before Veteran's Day '08.

One of my favorite photos that I took on the ship. It got published on the Navy website.

And some more that got published.

Hope this works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 am 
Definitely works for me :). Your fav is my fav too :lol: keep on posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:43 pm 

Last one's definitely my favourite, must be my available-light addiction. I also like the fisheye shot.

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Great shots, especially those from the ship...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:47 pm 
Hi Josh & Warm Welcome to CL Forum. 8)

@Josh- Have you been sailed across the South China Sea & docking the ship around The Brunei seaport ? The other USS Navy Vessel are often docking at that place