Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Great Website
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:12 am 
I really like the reviews on this site, I have been researching a few cameras and this is the first place I've found that gives practical reviews and compares it to other models. Really great for those of us trying to work out what to buy.

I'm trying to decide between an entry level DSLR and a high end all-in-one. I really want a camera with good zoom and wide capabilities, fairly light weight so I can carry it hiking and travelling and delivers great quality shots. Our current camera Cybershot DSC W1 just isn't cutting it.

So I'm looking at:

FujiFilm S9500
Panasonic DMC-FZ50
Canon 400D plus a telephoto 300mm zoom
Sony A100
(The Nikon is too heavy and low on features IMO)

The benefits of the all-in-ones is the lower weight, lower cost and a bit simpler for the other half to operate. The Panasonic is ahead because of the OIS, but AFAIK it's wide shots aren't great.

On the other hand the DSLRs give great wide and zoom by changing lenses, picture quality is great and noise at higher ISO is lower. But price is higher, carrying and changing lenses is a bit of a pain and the Sony is getting a bit too heavy to lug around, especially for the other half.

Our previous photos have suffered a lot from shakey hands, so IS is of big interest, I know the Sony has it built in, but the Canon is going to cost big $$$ to get it. Meanwhile the Panasonic has all the features at a far lower price.

Should I be concentrating on IS so much? Or is a DSLR with lower noise at higher ISO just as good, ie. I can shoot with higher shutter speeds and higher ISO to make up for lack of IS? If I can live without IS the Canon is ahead on my list, I can always invest in an IS lens down the track if I need it.

In any case, can't wait to see your review of the DMC-FZ50. A comparison to the entry level DSLRs would be good. :)

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:24 am 
Site Admin

Hi Benno, thanks for your message and we're glad you're enjoying the site!

You've asked the big question there and the subject of all-in-ones versus DSLRs is something we've touched-on in the verdicts to our FZ30 and Fujifilm S9500 reviews.

In the favour of the all-in-ones are (normally) longer lens focal ranges, live screens which sometimes also flip-out, movie modes and no dust to worry about.

In the favour of DSLRs are interchangeable lenses, lower noise at high sensitivities, (normally) faster handling, and easier manual focusing.

There's of course more besides, but those are the main points.

As to which is best, well you have to weigh up whcih of those features means the most to you. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to travel light when hiking or travelling, but while a DSLR may be traditionally bigger and heavier than a superzoom all-in-one, you can at least buy small and light 18-200mm lenses - see our Sigma review for instance.

It's a tough choice, but one we hope to make a little easier with some forthcoming articles including our FZ50 review. Check back soon for more details!

It'd also be great to hear from anyone who's weighed-up this choice for themselves and plumped for one or the other. How has it worked out for you in practice and did you make the right choice?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 am 
Thanks for the reply Gordon.

I tried out a couple mates' cameras on the weekend, one has a FujiFilm S9500 and the other has a Canon 350D with an extra 300mm zoom lens. They have also just returned from an OS trip, so we could compare their pics of the same subjects in the same light.

The pics taken with the DSLR were slightly better quality in most cases, it felt better in the hand and was more responsive. The all-in-one just felt like too much of a compromise, we already have a small point and shoot that we can take anywhere, so the DSLR seems like the way to go. I might still have a look at the FZ50 in the flesh to be sure.

Now the question is which DSLR. I liked the feel of the Canon 350D and it's weight is acceptable, but the Sony has IS, and now that I look at the Pentax, it also has weather proofing, great for hiking, skiing, etc.

Both these seem a bit heavier than the Canon, on the other hand, builtin IS is a lot cheaper than buying it in the lens, so I think the Sony and Pentax might be a nose in front.

I'll be keen to read your K10D review, but I suppose I will need to hold each one in the hands and look at the lens options/prices to decide.

Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:39 pm 
I second Benno. Great site. In particular, the dust removal test was a great & NEW idea.

Post subject: all in one versus dslr
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:58 pm 
Good topic. Gordon asked for thoughts. I have the S2IS as well as 300D. S2IS stays with me all the time but if I head out wanting to take make sure I get good pics, the 300D and lenses come with me.

I find the S2IS struggles to lock focus in low light and the flash has a very short range. After my last day out with it I made a written note to myself to only use it on good days. The noise at ISO 100 and above is pretty high.

But it is a lot lighter to lug around for a day.

Bernard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:08 pm 
Happy "B-Day" for a great website!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:58 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Noji!