Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 pm 

It not as convenient as the local forum search, but Google allows you to limit a search to a specific domain and does not bar searching for common words. e.g. I just ran a search in this forum for the word "the".

Also, as long as I'm posting, and let me say upfront that I don't like this idea myself, one way to reorganize the forum would be by camera type. i.e. interchangeable lens cameras vs point and shoots; then under interchangeable lens cameras, maybe break that down by sensor size; and maybe break the point and shoots down by price--budget vs high-end.

Just throwing it out there - Mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 am 

Well considering your idea, I think it's really brilliant. It would be nice to see the forums divided like that because you always have all the Canon, for example, stuff jumbled together in one section: lenses, point-and-shoots, superzooms, FF DSLRs, CF DSLRs, you name it.

Nice one :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 am 

I like that idea too
Also, an easier way to post photos is welcome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 pm 

I've seen a lot of cases from new people not knowing how to post photos. Janern has a good point, but the question would be: how? :|

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 am 

Some forums allow attaching (image) files to posts.

Getting back to the reorganization suggestion I made, if they do decide to go that route, I would humbly request that they also implement a user (and Mod) selectable (via drop down) thread "prefix" like there is on some other forums, so that it would be easy to distinguish at a glance of the thread listing in each section which brand/manufacturer--Canon, Nikon, Sony, other, undecided, etc.--the thread has to do with.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:53 am 

Just had another thought--given how everything is going mobile, how about a mobile app? Or at least a mobile version of the forum (and/or website)? (The desktop version is fine on my tablet, but not so much on my smart phone.)

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:52 am 

I'm new here. I found this site completely by accident when I was looking for information on SLR cameras. I love the way this site is set up, but I do know that forums can be time consuming, especially for the administrators.
I haven't been here long enough to be able to say which direction you should go; but I will agree with the posts about posting pictures. I still have not figured out how to post a picture correctly, even though I have read all the posts on how to do it. It is not the fault of the people who took the time to post directions, but my inability to understand the computer terminology. I just do not spend enough time on the computer. I am also a beginner photographer, and am learning as I go. Both the computer and photography terms are still relatively new to me. I've spent several hours both last night and tonight, reading as much as I can.
I am only one, but I will be here a lot more now, and I've shared the site with several friends. I hope they will visit soon.
Thank you to everyone who has made this site what it is.
XNavyHM3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:40 pm 

Welcome to the forums! Glad you like them :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:28 am 
Site Admin

Great suggestions Maestro, I will be implementing a Google site search very soon, and I'm also tempted to do a mobile version of certain portions, like the best buys guides...

Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 pm 

I just stumbled upon a possible solution for the mobile version of the forums (at least for iOS devices as far as I'm concerned, sorry). It's an app named TouchBB Lite, developed by Core Coding. It does say that you need to implement some kind of code to make it work, and it says you can find it here. The app is free so no extra charges for anyone! :D

I hope Gordon has time to check it out and see if it works.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:50 am 

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE camera labs!!! I just found you today! It's been 10 years since I had a camera...( went from a used Minolta film camera to a Mamiya medium format, built a darkroom!, to a Digital Canon Rebel.... to nothing..) I want to get back in the game, so looking for advice. Have no idea what to buy. On a strict budget and am terrified of buying the wrong equipment. To get to the point, I like the idea of being able to ask a question and getting real answers....so maybe just have the one thread. I would really hte to see you go. I am not on any social media, but may have to succumb...
Thanks for all you do!!